Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,535   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Who knew shooting all those slides actually made us better photographers?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...aught_me.shtml
    Yes slides are a hard master, a good teacher. And still give better images than any DSLR, etc., that I have seen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to frequent Luminous Landscape a lot before realizing it's populated 99% by pixel peepers and gear masturbaters. The editorial contributors are very similar being mostly self proclaimed experts, weekend warriors with high paying day jobs like lawyers, doctors and engineers who spend obscene amounts of money on equipment and then bury themselves in the technical stuff to make up for the lack of any kind of aesthetic sense. I'm so happy I found APUG, it's like a breath of fresh air in the putrid stench that are internet forums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I used to frequent Luminous Landscape a lot before realizing it's populated 99% by pixel peepers and gear masturbaters. The editorial contributors are very similar being mostly self proclaimed experts, weekend warriors with high paying day jobs like lawyers, doctors and engineers who spend obscene amounts of money on equipment and then bury themselves in the technical stuff to make up for the lack of any kind of aesthetic sense. I'm so happy I found APUG, it's like a breath of fresh air in the putrid stench that are internet forums.
    True. But, LL can be very amusing at times.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I read the story in the link.

Sad that the writer never projected any of those thousands of slides. He threw away 80% of his slides and he never knew if the best might have gone in the bin because he didn't project them.

I am only a hack but I know that my best photos are not always the most technically perfect.

I also know that slides were meant to be projected. When people talk about the narrow latitude of slides or the over saturation of the colors they are forgetting the projection light will balance all that out.

Sometimes I think a copy photo taken off the projection screen is a better representation of a slide than a direct scan.

We are still a long. long way off before digital media can match the beauty and 3D look of projected slides.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me it was just so weird that after all that talk about how E6 is so amazing he ends with.. "In conclusion, I know and accept that for better or worse, I am stuck with digital photography. From a cost and convenience perspective, I can’t imagine going back to film of any kind."...wait, what??
    Yes, it always seems to come down to a triumph for convenience over quality.

high paying day jobs like lawyers, doctors and engineers
    Engineers are highly paid? When did that happen?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Amen, brother.

Luminous Landscape used to be one of my daily hits, but I've chosen a path different from Mr. Reichmann & Co.

Consider also this article featured recently:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...oaf_rock.shtml

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    Amen, brother.

Luminous Landscape used to be one of my daily hits, but I've chosen a path different from Mr. Reichmann & Co.

Consider also this article featured recently:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...oaf_rock.shtml
    I kinda like the result for what it is, a matte painting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yikes! The image was shot on a medium format camera and a $20K Phase One digital back. Gear masturbators got some bucks.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...lassic/pe71336

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I read the story in the link.

Sad that the writer never projected any of those thousands of slides. He threw away 80% of his slides and he never knew if the best might have gone in the bin because he didn't project them.

I am only a hack but I know that my best photos are not always the most technically perfect.

I also know that slides were meant to be projected. When people talk about the narrow latitude of slides or the over saturation of the colors they are forgetting the projection light will balance all that out.

Sometimes I think a copy photo taken off the projection screen is a better representation of a slide than a direct scan.

We are still a long. long way off before digital media can match the beauty and 3D look of projected slides.
    Some years back, friends got Pro Cabin and Kindermann projectors for very few $. Had a pile of unmounted Scala and later larger piles E100GX and Velvia 6x6 and 6x7. A couple times annually with food and booze, we have a "Jurassic" night and invite a few strays from the digital side over to gawk and gasp. Fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not give much credibility to Luminous Landscape, especially third-party written articles like the one at the crux of this discussion. In many places there is evidence of plagiarism and similarity to what another photographer has said, that being Ken Rockwell. Of the two, KR has some useful, well-founded information. The visit to LL earlier this week was probably my first in about 4 years. As for the writer taking up slides from 1999, well, I wonder how it strikes him that photographers around the world have been using slide film since Nelson lost an eye? I don't go back as far as some on APUG, but I started in 1978 with Kodachrome and continued that for 10 years before shifting to Fuji, which I still use. We should be grateful for being members of a skilled, switched-on, experienced and knowledgeable community that is APUG: many people do look to those with lots of experience for advice and they have made a wise choice in light of the terrible mash of heresy and bullshit that propagates digital-weighted photographic forums. That's my Friday Rage and Rant. Now I'll have my brekky!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin