Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 796

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    Amen, brother.

Luminous Landscape used to be one of my daily hits, but I've chosen a path different from Mr. Reichmann & Co.

Consider also this article featured recently:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...oaf_rock.shtml
    He's very hard to take these days--smug, self-important, and just as aesthetically challenged as ever. He used to get flamed 5-8 years ago as shill for Canon since he enjoyed what appeared to be a very privileged relationship with them. The site's still worth a look for its reviews of new toys. Happy that his sample resolution shots now seem to be a bit more diverse than the satellite dishes atop the CBC building in downtown Toronto. I was starting to recognize the pigeons!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bracketing News photos....not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    All those unskilled cowards like me bracketed
    No bracketing when you used Ektachrome for Photojournalism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes, it always seems to come down to a triumph for convenience over quality.

Engineers are highly paid? When did that happen?

Steve.
    Not when I was an engineer either I can assure you Steve.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Engineers (and scientists) are now in ever higher demand and are thus commanding higher salaries than ever before. In the US and many other western countries, there has been a big drop in the number of STEM students (STEM= sci, tech, engr, & math) and that is now catching up to us. Suddenly a lot of our technical talent has to be imported from abroad and, lo and behold, the big innovations are coming from abroad too. We're just beginning to see the tip of the iceberg right now, but the projections are already pretty clear: we're going to have a massive domestic shortage of young people with technical skills. And to add insult to injury, we've also got a mountain of student loan debt and students who can't get jobs. So there is a big disconnect between the kind of capabilities that the workplace needs, and the kind of capabilities that colleges and universities nurture.

If this issue interests you, let me refer you to a graphic which presents the stats very clearly:

http://wraltechwire.com/business/tec...ref_id=8430665

People like me (with one foot in academia and one foot in the "real world") are desperately trying to convince leaders of the magnitude of this problem. The situation is really dire and sets us up for a period of technological stagnation (as eloquently described by Tyler Cowen in his nice little book, The Great Stagnation).

Okay, I will now step back from the lectern / pulpit, sorry

~~~

Yes, the E6 process is very demanding and it requires very good metering and knowledge of light.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hear, hear. Good, if somewhat meandering, post. Interesting graphic on the link. Important for people of my generation (i'm 31), especially.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Yes, it always seems to come down to a triumph for convenience over quality.

Engineers are highly paid? When did that happen?

Steve.
    When you're an engineer manager

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    And not now. My pay is about the national average.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Sometimes I think a copy photo taken off the projection screen is a better representation of a slide than a direct scan.
    That's exactly what I did once with Velvia. Worked miles better than my flatbed or the Minolta Scan Dual III.

Pardon the hybrid sidestep .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    No bracketing when you used Ektachrome for Photojournalism.
    Bracketing is a substitute for proper metering in most cases.

It's interesting to see what passes for skill, experience, and quality at LL. This guy used "thousands" of roll of film over a whopping 5 years, yet kept only 4 or 5 frames from each roll. This means he trashed at least 62,000 frames, keeping at least 8,000. The one frame he posted is, well, crap. Either it is crap on the film or the scan is crap, but it's crap. Looks like he is well suited to the shotgun approach with digitography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That link with the rock cracks me up! WTF?!

Funny, I was taught photography at 15 on E-6 because the person teaching me wanted me to learn proper exposure with my tools. After that, I felt that BW negatives are quite easy. Actually, just dropped off a bunch of forgotten rolls of Velvia this morning. The lab had a lot film being developed, it appeared, which was heartening.
    K.S. Klain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin