Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,324   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

E6 Builds Character

Who knew shooting all those slides actually made us better photographers?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...aught_me.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think so. Maybe he can be better in the darkroom by printing them in Cibachromes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To me it was just so weird that after all that talk about how E6 is so amazing he ends with.. "In conclusion, I know and accept that for better or worse, I am stuck with digital photography. From a cost and convenience perspective, I can’t imagine going back to film of any kind."...wait, what??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Below is a portrait I captured in 2000, shot on Kodachrome 64 slide film using a Leica M6 and a 35 Summicron. The scan does not quite look like the slide, but at least I know what it’s supposed to look like. The slide is so sharp that you can see the embers in the cigarette clearly with a loupe."

That slide being referenced is just bloody awful, yes, just that — even from a Leica! I have seen much more competent images from an Olympus XA and Epson V700 scan that do show every detail faithfully. Not much credibility to the rant about digital other than to add that he jumped over too hastily without taking slides to the max. He learnt nothing at all. The final statement is the leave-page cue: lazy, incompetent and prejudiced.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Digital is for those who enjoy corrupted, unusable digital files in 2025.

I know for a fact that I will be enjoying the advances in scanning technology in 2025.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 03-15-2012 at 01:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    127 Format
    Aw. I missed the joke. First post gone. poof!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Who knew shooting all those slides actually made us better photographers?
    Some of us knew this decades ago. I'm so glad that someone who "started pursuing photography as a serious hobby in 1999" is around to remind us ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I didn't " take up photography seriously in 1999", but in 1952 , one way that shooting slides has improved my photography over the years is it's taught me to precisely frame my shots, be exact in my metering, and calculating the exposure.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All those unskilled cowards like me bracketed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Some of us knew this decades ago. I'm so glad that someone who "started pursuing photography as a serious hobby in 1999" is around to remind us ...
    In 1999, I had been using (not "shooting") slide film for 28 years. In 1971, I was getting about 30-35 keepers per roll, not 4 or 5. What I learned from slide film was how to meter properly when exposing it and how to control temperature when processing it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin