Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,215   Online: 691

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thermometer broke

Hi All,

I was developing with the tetanal kit some films when my thermometer slipped my hands and I think contaminated the developer :/, right at the end of the dev process.
    It was a red colored liquid that would not stain anything but my latex gloves. I dont think it was any kind of mercury liquid.

How save is it to reuse the developer? If working (after a test roll) would its live be diminished?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it is alcohol with red dye. Not sure how, or if, it will contaminate your chem though.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your images are much more valuable than the cost of chemicals. Buy new developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the alcohol won't do anything, the dye might stain the film a tiny bit. Mercury is silver coloured. Blue or red liquids in thermometers are alcohol and dye, you can't dye mercury.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Your images are much more valuable than the cost of chemicals. Buy new developer.
    Thanks I did. Still that leaves the question of alcohol being a developer killer, as other have mentioned! I would think it just makes the solution more dilute and it was only few drops anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do a stringent clip test (an inch of film you expose in your camera) in the 'contaminated' developer. It might turn out that the contamination is not worthy of worry. - David Lyga

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ethanol can be used as cosolvent for phenidone, so it's unlikely that a small amount of an alcohol will affect a black & white developer. Just run a snip test to determine if there is any problem.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did run a test today and can state that the Tetenal Color Developer was not affected by the drop of alcohol from the colored thermometer!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    I did run a test today and can state that the Tetenal Color Developer was not affected by the drop of alcohol from the colored thermometer!
    That's good to know. One of us sooner or later is likely to have the same accident.Thanks

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin