Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 743

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got 50 cartridges of Super 8 K40 in my freezer. One of these days I'll figure out how to expose it and develop it for B&W projection, at least. But if someone manages to get a K-14 cine film processor running, that would sure be fun.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodachrome film is a B&W film with at least 9 different emulsions sensitive to Red, Green and Blue light and these emulsions are able to tell them apart and reproduce the original colors. The coatings are very thin to give good sharpness and the emulsions are very fine grained but still give good speed and grain. The coating is so complex than only Kodak remained active in this field even though Fuji once made a compatible film, as did Konica in Japan.

PE

In the past aside of Kodak 7 more manufacturers made films on the Kodachrome principle.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-31-2012 at 10:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dynacolor (here in Rochester) made a Kodachrome compatible film, and in the early '60s, DuPont had a Kodachrome project, but the introduction of Kodachrome II killed it if I remember correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak released the patent for K14 so that anyone could do it. At that time, Fuji Konica and Kodak could run the "old" Kodachrome. All declined to move into K14 and thus Kodak was the only source of K14 films. Dyanchrome was long gone at that time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is not with developing this film. That is fairly easy compared to restarting its nmanufacture. Do any of the old coating machines still exist? Is there anyone with the expertise to run one? I seriously doubt that any company would be willing to make Kodachrome film again. If anyone truly believes that such an event could happen then I have some land in south Florida I'd like to sell them.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-31-2012 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do not need the old coating machines. Any current multi-layer coater would be fine.
    Out of those 8 companies only Kodak went on even in the haydays. And Kodak profited for a part from the reputation of the tradename Kodachrome.

Some time ago a fellow member wanted a custom production done. He was fixed at Kodak, but Kodak was not interested. I don't assume there is still someone else considering custom production.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-31-2012 at 11:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Any current multi-layer coater would be fine.
    I am not so sure about this. Kodakchrome contained more layers than any film manufactured today.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald, Kodachrome was no wonder-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The main difference I see between a B&W pan film, and a (basic) Kodachrome-type film, is the yellow filter, and separation of spectral bandwidths (red, green, blue, etc) into different emulsion layers and never mixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The problem is not with developing this film. That is fairly easy compared to restarting its nmanufacture. Do any of the old coating machines still exist? Is there anyone with the expertise to run one? I seriously doubt that any company would be willing to make Kodachrome film again. If anyone truly believes that such an event could happen then I have some land in south Florida I'd like to sell them.
    What you need is not the old coating machines, but a coating machine that can manufacture in small enough batches that you don't have $1,000,000 worth of perishable product that you need to unload in a short period of time. I'm thinking a master that is 140mm wide (just over 5½ inches) and maybe 100m long (just over 328 feet) this would allow for trimming into 35mm, 120, 4x5 sheets and 5x7 sheets. It would be a little thick for 120, but you could use the same thickness for 35mm, 4x5 and 5x7....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin