Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,607   Posts: 1,622,644   Online: 1066

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930313236 ... LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ... I do have a Kodachrome experience to relate though. When E6 came out, I quit using Kodachrome!

Thats it.

PE
    Yep, PE is officially Fed Up.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do have a Kodachrome experience to relate though. When E6 came out, I quit using Kodachrome!

Thats it.

PE
    PE

Did the named Kodachrome patent holders complain?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neither of us did!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Neither of us did!

PE
    I love it. Even though you're so very tired of all the ballyhooing about Kodachrome being gone, you haven't lost your graciousness or sense of humor. You're a true gentleman and the APUG community is so much richer because of your presence here.

I also stopped shooting Kodachrome quite a while ago because the fastest speed I could get was 64 (I don't think the 200-speed version was available yet), and my lens was so slow and flash was so wimpy (I was a poor student then) that I couldn't get decent Christmas pictures with a 64-speed film. Ektachrome 200 was fast enough so that's what I switched to. I did shoot a roll or two of the K200 when it was available, but didn't like it as well as I did the Ektachrome or the K64.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ME;

Thanks. As you can imagine, my life has been photography above all else. I have lived, breathed, and worked it since I was about 8 or 12 depending on B&W or color. It has been mostly fun!!! sometimes low spots, but this Kodachrome thing is really getting to me. Let it go people. It will not come back, and its qualities were, in some sense, an accident of demands for quality and keeping.

Oh well.

The real workers were Fred and Ed. Dick S worked on lab processing and Dick B and I were just bystanders who worked on color developing agents at that time.

Best wishes .

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    ME;

Thanks. As you can imagine, my life has been photography above all else. I have lived, breathed, and worked it since I was about 8 or 12 depending on B&W or color. It has been mostly fun!!! sometimes low spots, but this Kodachrome thing is really getting to me. Let it go people. It will not come back, and its qualities were, in some sense, an accident of demands for quality and keeping.

Oh well.

The real workers were Fred and Ed. Dick S worked on lab processing and Dick B and I were just bystanders who worked on color developing agents at that time.

Best wishes .

PE
    I never actually used Kodachrome, the results I saw were grainy with weird colours, and it was slow, and more expensive to process. 75 years ago, it was a brilliant idea, but, really, Kodachrome was on life support when I started shooting colour in 1978, there were other transparency films with better colour accuracy, finer grain, higher speed and easier processing even then, 34 years ago now.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Paul - cannot agree with you here.

My best Kodachromes were shot after 1978 (until the late 1980s), and survive well to this day.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sorry Paul - cannot agree with you here.

My best Kodachromes were shot after 1978 (until the late 1980s), and survive well to this day.
    What I mean by it was on life support in 1978, is that already Kodachrome was starting to lose market share to other film technologies, like E6 and C41, even if digital had never been invented, we would still have seen Kodachrome fade into history.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    In the late '80s, Ray DeMoulin tried to give Kodachrome a 'push'.. See http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00XWtx

A key comment by Ron Andrews is "He started all of these development programs because he wanted them. Later in the project when someone finally did some number crunching, they found that the sales projections didn't justify a new film. Ray could get the programs started on his say so, but he still had to answer to some other people before he could get a product out the door."

I worked on a number of projects for Ray. I should mention that he is the guy at Kodak that started the program I worked on for the original DCS - but he did (and still does) love film!

You might want to look at Ron Andrew's Kodachrome pages at http://www.randrews4.com/kodachrome.html
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 11-09-2012 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added Ron Andrew's pages URL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    What I mean by it was on life support in 1978, is that already Kodachrome was starting to lose market share to other film technologies, like E6 and C41, even if digital had never been invented, we would still have seen Kodachrome fade into history.
    On the market share issue, I have no disagreement with you.

I did, however still prefer the qualities of Kodachrome right through the early 1980s. When the Kodak lab in western Canada closed, that definitely started to wain.

I assume that you weren't in Canada at the end of the 1970s, or bought Kodachrome from outside the country, because as far as I am aware all Canadian sold Kodachrome included processing until the early 1980s.
    Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin