Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,006   Online: 1042

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 182223242526272829303132333438 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I just want to corroborate what you say on your flickr page.

Your wife is indeed lovely. She also looks like she's a delight to be around, and I will venture to say that you are one lucky guy.
    Thanks.

I shot a lot more Kodachrome than what's there, but much of it was documenting family and friends that year so I've not posted that kind of stuff.

One slide I value greatly is a photo of my then new girlfriend, now wife, and my mother, then 82 years old and having been very sick earlier that year, hugging at Christmas, the first time they met. My mom loves my wife and liked her immediately. It's a shot with a lot of personal meaning but not one for Flickr.

Dwayne's also managed to scratch it. It doesn't ruin it, but I'd rather it weren't scratched. I thought about getting an Ilfochrome of it when I could but didn't. I don't know if the one or two commercial labs doing Ilfochrome still have any or not.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Reports of (Colour) Kodachrome Home Processing Emerge from Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Thanks.

I shot a lot more Kodachrome than what's there, but much of it was documenting family and friends that year so I've not posted that kind of stuff.

One slide I value greatly is a photo of my then new girlfriend, now wife, and my mother, then 82 years old and having been very sick earlier that year, hugging at Christmas, the first time they met. My mom loves my wife and liked her immediately. It's a shot with a lot of personal meaning but not one for Flickr.

Dwayne's also managed to scratch it. It doesn't ruin it, but I'd rather it weren't scratched. I thought about getting an Ilfochrome of it when I could but didn't. I don't know if the one or two commercial labs doing Ilfochrome still have any or not.
    Granted Dwayne's had a lot of film coming through at the end, but they certainly had their issues, lost about 3 rolls of film to them, just blank, from different cameras all sent at the same time, they said "must have been my camera" but again, multiple campers a, sucks because its basically all of my Hollywood LA stay is gone, a missing part of my book, it sucks.

Another reason K didn't survive, too muck risk in error...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Market share was not lost until 1990 or therabouts.

PE
    For what I remember of the time, Kodachrome 25 ruled for high definition (in the 135 format) and vivid colours. Publications like General Geographic would give a strong preference to Kodachrome 25. Travel photography was the monopoly of Kodachrome. Those Polinesian beaches with blue sky, blue (or green) sea and bight sand, and the green palm on top, where Kodachrome private ground. E-6 were slightly below in grain and vividness and were considered good-but-no-cigar.

Then came a product of a quasi-obscure Japanese firm, Fujifilm, the existence of which one would normally learn about in photo catalogues . Velvia. Velvia was 50 rather than 25, was equally fine grained than Kodachrome 25, and was also much easier to process and, especially, much less risky (E-6, could be done at home or down the corner). The colour response was markedly different but, all in all, was very vivid and up in vividness to Kodachrome, which never had happened before in the industry.

IIRC in a few years Kodachrome sales had a sharp fall and the Fujifilm brand became synonym of professional material rather than Kodak. I think the risks and waste of time related to sending Kodachrome to a far-away laboratory weighted much more, in the shift, than the colour response of the two materials. Velvia was good enough, but without the anxiety.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji E6 films were introduced in about 1990 and immediately ran into severe process problems due to process sensitivity. Fuji nearly lost the market and this led to an upsurge of EK E6 sales. Eventually, Fuji fixed the problem and came back strong.

The ads for the 1990 Winter Olympics were among the last Kodachrome ads. They shared the ad with E6.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So before 1990 they were still E-4 with Fuji processing included?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never said this!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. If Fuji E-6 came out in about 1990, were they E-4 before that? The Fujichrome I bought in the 80's still had processing included as I recall, so I could see the E-4 process being continued by Fuji in their labs.
    Or was the process something else? Was the Fujichrome (RD100, I think it was called) in the mid to late 70's an E- process? I thought it was.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji had two reversal processes. One was a Kodachrome process and the other was a proprietary process similar to Agfachrome of the 1940s onward. The same is true of Konica. I have seen and run the Konica processes and have been told that Fuji product were quite compatible with the Konica products. They both derived from Agfa in WWII.

Konishiroku Emon, founder of Konica, which made Sakura film, was a personal friend of George Eastman. Konica was primary film manufacturer for Japan before and during WWII, but due to war damage, Fuji took the forefront. Therefore I assume some degree of formula crossover was quite possible or necessary.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Fujichrome R-100 was process E-4. Fuji did have a proprietary process (cr-55?) but it was compatible with E-4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's it: R-100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin