Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,051   Online: 1107

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24282930313233343536373839 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The market for Tech Pan was just not there! There was no profit margin for it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The market for Tech Pan was just not there! There was no profit margin for it.

PE

Interesting comment. Tech Pan was extensively used by Melbourne University where I did my arts studies in the early 1990s. Ortho/architectural work and landscape studies. I can't get my head around recalling that it was in 5x4 format as a lot of students were using a Horseman 45FA; maybe I'm thinking of some other film (TMax??); can't recall very well being so long ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was good in 4x5 if you wanted to enlarge to several feet on a side and not see grain from close viewing.

It's main claim to fame was having such fine grain a 35mm negative, if shot very carefully with superb glass, could produce a print to rival one from 4x5 on conventional film. Maybe larger formats becoming more affordable as digital became more popular helped do it in.

I never cared for it. Weird spectral response, special developer needed, and painfully slow. If I could tolerate the speed I'd rather have used APX 25 which was quite fine grained enough for me. But some people did love it, true enough.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Reports of (Colour) Kodachrome Home Processing Emerge from Sydney

I thought it was the blue and magenta you could get out of it in some images so it wasn't truly B&W which to me is really the appeal, I wish I could get my hands on the developer. I have 2 rolls of 120 and 8 rolls of 135 and I'd love to get some great shots even if its fairly old.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Modern Photography magazine, November 1982, (OMG, 30 years!) which has an article quoting Kodak as delivering "4x5 quality with a 35mm camera". It was in the form of the Tech Pack 2, two rolls of Tech Pan with sufficient Technidol LC developer. The article describes Technidol as "Kodak's new packaged version of POTA developer" which they say up until then was "...a formula which must be concocted from scratch", also referring to "mixing and storage difficulties" when compounding it yourself. Makes it sound like POTA was a PITA...

They compared photographs from the kit with 4x5 Tri-X and Plus-X, both in D-76, and while not their equal, it did give them a decent run of it. They also compared it to other 35mm B&W films-Ilford Pan-F in Perceptol,. Panatomic-X in Microdol-X, and Agfapan 25 in Atomal, which all rendered detail about as well, but with more grain.

Related to Roger's comment, they mention Tech Pan's "extended red sensitivity" which will of course lightens reds.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-30-2012 at 01:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will you please share the details of your process with us?
    Thanks.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome spletcher!

The process is refered to here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...eveloping.html

No details are given and please read the whole thread before doing conclusions...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I want to hear more about the Tech Pan stash referenced above. I have my own stash, mostly 35mm and 120 and technidol. Wish I had some 4x5. what a great film. I shot piles of that back in the 90s. Many bulk rolls.... Fortunately it keeps great.

-Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know anything about Techpan, but the Adox Silvermax film is very good for enlarging. I have had very good luck having it enlarged to 11x14 without noticeable grain. The blufire police film is supposedly just as good for extreme enlarging, but I am supporting Adox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    I don't know anything about Techpan, but the Adox Silvermax film is very good for enlarging. I have had very good luck having it enlarged to 11x14 without noticeable grain. The blufire police film is supposedly just as good for extreme enlarging, but I am supporting Adox.
    Recently I tried Silvermax - it is great film, I printed 30x40cm print and wonder why people complain about 35mm format . But it is not comparable with Kodak TP. Only thing that I could compare to TP (speaking about grain size) from todays films that are still in production is Adox CMS 20.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin