Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 778

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

need the facts on ektachrome 100d 35mm motion picture film as 'slide' film.

Embarrassed that I don't know this and a little spooked that extensive web/site searches can't tell me what I need to know...

I couldn't find any useful info or examples on the web that were intended as 'straight' photography or motion picture stuff, so if anybody knows of any tests, reviews, or galleries I'd like to take a look at what one can do with this film.

The question: does this film behave as a 'regular' e-6 film if used as a film for, say, natural light landscape stuff? Can I use it as I'd used EPP or whatever? Or is there some difference that'll make the colors off? Does it have the same perforations as 'still' 35mm film, so I can bulk load it and shoot as normal? Is the contrast similar? Are any filters required? Any weird masking or backing? Does it scan well?

I'm not looking for super-technical comments as to the minutiae of grain, contrast, etc. of kodak vs. fuji or ektachrome vs. kodachrome or whatever (but feel free to post them, what the heck, everything's useful for later seekers). More interested in the suitability as such. Beggars can't be choosers anymore, that period of history's over.

I just want to know if I can use this while it's still around. Like I did ~2004-2010 with kodachrome, I'm going to try to shoot any ektachrome while I can, but the prices on the 35mm rolled stuff are soon going to be prohibitive.

Help, thanks!
    Last edited by Robert Liebermann; 03-29-2012 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    motion picture perfs. yes, you should be able to use it in a still camera. filtration is the same when I've shot it. Will it be worth the trouble vs. buying fuji provia in cartridges? Probably not.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    motion picture perfs. ... filtration is the same when I've shot it.
    Thanks - are MP perfs the same as 35mm for 'regular' cameras? ... Filtration the same as what?

Robert J. Liebermann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    Thanks - are MP perfs the same as 35mm for 'regular' cameras?
    Yes, the spacing is the same for movie and photo film. 35mm film cameras got their start from cameras made to use the left over unshot film from movies. There may be a slight difference in only that some movie films have a rounded sprocket ends (__) vs. photographic film with it's 90 degree ends [__], but it will not bother your 35mm cameras at all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Robert ,

Motion Film Processing with homemix or lab order ECN2 developer widely discussed. I dont know but there can be a anti reflective black carbon layer could be used even at Motion Ektachrome film. I am not sure but lots of motion picture films uses it. If you want to process your film at home , you can remove it after expose and before development . But if you order a processing , this layer disturb your labs processor with a mess. In two cases , you must remove the layer. So before investment , search for the data sheets of that film at kodak com or private message , photo engineer at APUG.

Good luck , I will search the threads and will help you with small list and I will look for the kodak data sheet.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Robert ,

If I am not wrong , it comes in 300 meter roll.

More information of the film is herebelow. I could not find information on antireflective coating is there or not with quick look. If nobody answers , its because of busy traffic so you must ask in other thread.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/TI2496.pdf

Some information on filtering is herebelow.

Suggested Filters³
    Suggested Filter for Color Balance for Daylight Use None
    Suggested Neutral Density Filter .3 to .6
    ³ Suggested Neutral Density Filters are general suggestions for each film used in a "daylight" situation to help avoid overexposure of high-speed films and to support lens performance. All filters are not created the same, and you should be aware of its individual performance properties before using them.

Read more:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...#ixzz1qXsGlamV

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Robert ,

Do you know short end , short cut movie film sellers. Google them , you can buy extreme cheap short film rolls from US.

http://www.releasing.net/rawstock/

http://www.tapesuperstore.com/16mm35mm.html

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 03-29-2012 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome 100D is processed in Standard E6 chemicals and not ECN2 furthermore Ektachrome 100D does not have a Remjet backing so it can be be processed at home in E6. The perforation is different to still film B&H perforation (cine film) vs KS (Kodak perforation) (still film and Cine print film as well as Russian MP cameras) but since normal still cameras don't have a registration pin you shouldn't have any problems using it in your still camera

Good Luck
    Dominik

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Dominik.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Umut, Dominik et al. - thanks for the info. Esp. RE: the short-end sellers! Will have to look into that. So now I understand what remjet backing is; and this doesn't have it so even better.

I looked at the Kodak datasheets earlier, but as it seems entirely directed at motion picture use I was unsure if any things I'd need to know - I understand 'still' film well, but know nothing of cinema films. I was aware it's e-6, of course, so that's an indicator.

The last thing I'm unsure of, and this is a big part, is if the film would appear as 'daylight' slide film as I know it. The only web examples I could find seem to be people using damaged or 'cross-processed' uses, which is OK but not what I'm looking for (yet!).

So if anybody can tell me something like 'yes, shoot landscapes in your SLR, metering and filtering as you would Ekatachrome pro 100 daylight, process as same, and you'll not be surprised' that's what I'm looking for (feel free to copy/paste, even, if it's true). Or, 'don't use it without a xxx filter and even then it'll have a lime green cast and b;a bla bla' would tell me to rethink this. I just need to know if there's something 'different' from other e6 film here.

I might save up and buy one of those long rolls just to prepare for the inevitable... I guess I'd have to build some sort of modified bulk loader for that size roll...

The thing that confuses me is, if this can be shot as 'slide' film, why I can't find anything about that use on the web.

Robert J. Liebermann

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin