Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 829

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

what causes Pink Coloration to Stab / Final Rinse after use

I noticed that although I always do an extended and thorough final wash step, regardless, when I do the Final Rinse (Kodak) or Stabilizer (Tetenal) wash, it alwyas gets a pimk/magenta coloration to the Final Rinse/Stab. Does anyone know what causes this?

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you using respooled Ektachrome 100D cine film?

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It usually means that the washes before that step were not good enough and that bleach is being carried over into the final rinse.

And this can be in spite of what you think is a good wash. Try doubling the washes.

It should be bleach, wash, fix, wash, final rinse.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks PE ! With my Kodak Kits, I think I have been doing Bleach, then Fix with no wash step in between. I thought I had read in one of your earlier posts that you could wash between to extend life of fixer, so now I will do this. I will also try doubling my wash times, before the Final Rinse.

Also, could this be residual Color Developer? Not sure why, as I am no expert, but I somehow suspected it might be that, and played with the idea of introducing a wash, then a Kodak Final Rinse Step, then wash, then Tetenal Stab step when I use Tetenal kits (which sadly I will need to do as I have only 2 Kodak 5L kits remaining). Is there any harm in this that you know of? I think I read once (maybe from you?) that the Kodak Final Rinse has special chemicals to mop up residual color developer. Does Formaldehyde have the same effect in Tetenal Stabilizer?

Also, is there any harm that you know of in doing a 2 minute Stab with the Tetenal kit (kit says 1 minute)? My thought is better safe than sorry, want good formaldehyde stab of the film.

Final question, I noticed that the Arista kit gave fantastic color saturation, too much actually, made my Astia and 400X look like Velvia, but not good for skin tones. Could this be because of different Color Developer chemicals?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, and greatly appreciate your previous response. Your knowkledge is invaluable, you defintely know your stuff! It amazes me the details you remember, even in retirement.
    And I hope Kodak pulls through. I work for one of the auto companies, that went thru a similar ordeal a few years ago. I know how many workers and retirees depend upon Kodak. It is an American icon, and I for one cant imagine being without Kodak. All my favorite films, EB, EBX, 400UC, Portra, BW400CN, even I begrudgingly admit, Ektar 100, are/were all made by kodak. My kids growing up, our vacations, so many memories, all shot on Kodak film...Anyways, I hope kodak gets through this.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, not using 100D. Shooting mainly EB, EBX, Astia, and 400X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pukalo;

This is not residual color developer. That is long gone. It is retained bleach and retained dyes.

Extending the stabilizer / final rinse will cause no problem. I do it myself.

I cannot answer your questions about the color developer as I have never used those kits, but I suspect an alteration in the formulas of the first or color developer that changes the color reproduction.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    @pukalo: Oh. Because Ektachrome 100D will do that to the chemistry. Not a problem, just stains them pink.

Thanks
    R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get some pink residue in the final rinse no matter how long I wash, too. I think it's completely normal. Just make sure you wash enough so you don't have to worry. I'm using typically 7-8 water changes in a Jobo rotary processor. Many sources state that 4-5 is enough but that sounds a bit low and is probably based on the assumption that the tank drains optimally every time. The (very slight) pink discoloration is there anyway even if I change the water 10 times or wash with running water outside the tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not get it if I wash after the bleach and after the fix and use a bit longer times and more changes of water.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's "pink", then I doubt that this is bleach. I guess it is the same "pinkyness" that one can observe in fixer or wash water after developing a Tmax, coming from sensitizer/filter dyes.
    It depends on the pH of fixer and water (and other parameters, I guess), when and how quick it is washed out from the emulsion layer.

Georg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin