Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,883   Online: 912

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bulk color film

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting, so when I eventually get my TLR, I can get some 70mm film and just trim it? sounds like a terrific way to save some serious cash, at least for 120/220 film. Would this also work for 620? I will soon be owning a 620 camera, and the price wanted for film is outrageous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    It just isn't worth it. I'll just have to chuck my 220 inserts and buy some 120.

Maybe I could remove the plastic piece that tells the camera it's a 220 insert and then
    cut the 120 paper backing out. Tape on a trailer paper and call it good.
    Inserts for which camera?

In most cases, you can use 120 in a 220 insert - it is just harder on the insert.

Oh, and the counter will mislead .

EDIT: I've just reminded myself that you were earlier asking about Mamiya 645 inserts. 120 film will work in 220 inserts, even if the arrangement isn't ideal.
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-08-2012 at 01:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt
    Yes that is true. You can use 120 in the 220 if you are careful.

I think the 220 insert for the M645 has a little more force behind the pressure plate.

You can remove the little plastic wedge that tell the camera that it's a 220 insert. The it looks like
    a 120.

According to the manual you have to be very careful not to get the folded ends of the paper anywhere
    near the shutter. If the paper gets caught in the shutter it could get destroyed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    I am thinking about starting to roll my own film and am curious if there is any bulk color C-41 or E-6 35mm film available? I have looked at the regular sites such as Freestyle, Adorama, and B&H and they didn't have any. Is black and white the only bulk 35mm available?
    I did this (with color) many years ago and ran into many incidents of getting film refused at various processors not willing to chance their chemistry to what may be in a home-spooled cartridge. I don't blame them but I hadn't thought of that complication prior to rolling some color film from bulk.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Wittner sells an ISO 200 slide film in bulk. It's based off of Agfa Aviphot. The site (wittner-cinetec.com) is mostly in German, but the order form is available in English. Click "Katalog", then click "Filmmaterial", then click "Kleinbildfilm-135". A roll costs €41 excluding VAT, and €50 with VAT. At the bottom of the page, click "order" to see the order form in English.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Interesting, so when I eventually get my TLR, I can get some 70mm film and just trim it? sounds like a terrific way to save some serious cash, at least for 120/220 film. Would this also work for 620? I will soon be owning a 620 camera, and the price wanted for film is outrageous.
    You don't need to buy bulk film for 620 unless you really want to. Film, backing paper, spool, the only difference between 120 and 620 is the spool. Really, I promise. You can buy yourself some 620 spools from the big auction site, buy some 120 from the local camera store or online, and so long as you have either a dark room or a changing bag (which you can also buy online and maybe from the local camera store), you are set to go and can, with a little patience, respool 120 film onto 620 spools. There's lots of videos on YouTube that show how to do this. This is what I do for my 620 camera.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Provia film must be available in bulk as the lab that develops my film sells 35mm canisters of bulk loaded Provia.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can't even get sheet film in bulk anymore, unless you call 10 exposures "bulk". But at least I can get it...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You (we) could try for a long length of 120 on a reel next year but it would be mono...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...rder-70mm.html

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the Eastman cine color films are processed in C-41 or E-6 chemistry. If you can find short-ends these can be quite reasonable.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin