Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,328   Online: 1053

View Poll Results: Would you buy & use a modern Autochrome-type film?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, probably.

52 66.67%
  • Probably not.

6 7.69%
  • Would have to see the results first.

20 25.64%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't ever going to approach the quality (resolution, colour accuracy) of current C41 and E6 processes, is it? If so, I definitely wouldn't be a regular user but I might give it a once-off blast if it didn't require the purchase of large/expensive quantities of chemistry. If I could soup it using my C41, E6 or RA4 chems sitting on the shelves, all the better.

It would have to be film; I'm not bothering with a plate holder or new processing tanks. It'll have to either fit in a Paterson or Jobo 120 spiral or a 3010. I'd prefer 120 but if you're manufacturing this small-scale, my guess is that sheets are an easier option, in which case I'm fine with 4x5. ISO12 is usable for me though 25 would be better. And you'll need to provide development times/instructions for rotary development.

I would scan it for sure, but reversal processing or something printable to RA4 are both fine options. If the colour is good, I'd probably prefer reversal.

Price would need to be about $5/sheet (4x5") or less - you're competing with $2/sheet E6.
    I'm with polyglot; it would need to be film - for me it would need to be 35mm. If this criteria could be met, then yeah, I'd buy it.

Dufaycolor is an additive color process, where the colors are put in "grains" in front of the light-sensitive layer. As such it would only need B&W reversal processing chemistry; no need for CD3, CD4, or the now-discontinued CD6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dufaycolor
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Autochrome was similar, just needed b&w reversal processing. Beautiful look, not at all like modern color. I'd be interested. Couldn't you just make the screen and sandwich that with a sheet of film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call me among the "let me see the results first" crowd.

I wouldn't be looking for an equivalent to E6 in terms of grain and fidelity, but if it is something with real character (e.g. the original Autochrome, which loses in the "objective" category but wins oh! so much in the "subjective" one!), then I can be a consumer for life.

Given that colour slide is now either Fuji or Fuji, anything new would be cool.

I would love 120, so that my 6x6 projector could be useful for the years to come. Even glass plates would be cool: that's why I got that plate back for my Rolleiflex! Shoot a square on 6.5x9, cut down with diamond, mount or tape corners, slip in trays, voilà!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if i could afford it, i would use it,
    large format would be nice
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These imaging methods would not be even close to anything on the market today.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Polaroid offered an additive color film (Polachrome slide film) and the results never looked good to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    These imaging methods would not be even close to anything on the market today.

PE
    Nor is daguerreotype nor a lot of other historical processes, but....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would buy an Autochrome-type film for the effect, and I would buy a Dufay-type film to use if normal color process film became unavailable. Dufay film was available in 120, so I'm sure that nothing will change for that process.

Since Ilfochrome will no longer be made, that would mean a replacement paper would have to be developed. The other alternative would be a balance for RA-4.

A prototype Dufay might be constructed using the Efke Aura. I would try printing a screen on the back using pigment ink, and then see if that survived normal processing. Their normal IR seems to have a decent back side for retouching, and it at least accepts marker ink quite easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd sure like to be be one to give this a go.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. Your participation in this "market research" has been most appreciated!

Here are some thoughts of mine...

35mm is probably not possible, but 120 should be. 4x5" would definitely be the bread and butter of any screen-plate product line, though you'd have to make 8x10" available just for the sheer sake of seeing something like that!

I agree that it's gotta be on film, no plates. ISO 25 seems like a good benchmark, but I suspect that means you'd have to have an emulsion of 400 or so. The screen will absorb a significant amount of light. I think good reciprocity characteristics (or at the least, well published correction tables) would be ideal.

Processing could be normal negative development, yielding a color negative to be printed on RA-4. But let's face it, more realistically they're going to be scanned and shared online. Scannability is crucial to the success of a modern screen-plate, and my experiments with slide-film reseaus show that the denisty is quite a bit more than my Epson 4990 can handle. Something to think about...

Negative processing would allow for pushing, which might be interesting. Reversal (positive) processing would be more rigid.

I think it'd be cool to team up with dr5 for reversal processing services, while also having a well tested procedure for obtaining good results at home. This would be the "recommended" method.

The results aren't going to approach anything resembling E6 or C-41, but that's not the point at all.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin