Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 1001

View Poll Results: Would you buy & use a modern Autochrome-type film?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, probably.

52 66.67%
  • Probably not.

6 7.69%
  • Would have to see the results first.

20 25.64%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think that a workable color negative additive system has ever been demonstrated.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you develop an Autochrome or Dufaycolor as a negative, it creates a negative color image resembling an unmasked C-41 neg. What more is there to do?

There's an historical example of this in Bertrand Lavedrine's book.

Mind you, this is with the unspeakable as our end result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autochrome as Negative.JPG  
    Last edited by holmburgers; 04-11-2012 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added photo

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not familiar with Dufaycolor, but the Autochromes I've seen in museums are wonderful.
    I would be interested to try new Autochrome in 8x10 sheet film, especially if Dr5 could process the b/w reversal layer.
    ASA 25 would be nice, but I have a heavy tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On 2nd thought, 35mm is theoretically possible. PolaChrome was a screen-plate process.

Check out this big pic from flickr, you can see the RGB screen. Not bad... http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckth...n/photostream/

I'm curious how Polaroid made the screen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I don't think that a workable color negative additive system has ever been demonstrated.

PE
    Dufaycolor was used in a small number of 35mm movie films in the 1930's, in a color neg/positive film format. I've seen some on video and the results are entirely usable, if not up to some other systems. I believe that difficulties included, registration of the screen in printing, slow speed of the film for studio work and loss of brightness in projection due to the screen, so it was never widely adopted.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you will do the same recipe Autochrome with Lavedrine book , You will be needed to buy Acid Blue 3 Patent Blue dye.
    Formula says 24 grams per 100 ml and 25mg costs 80 dollars. 24 grams of patent blue costs nearly 70 000 dollars , seventy thousand dollars.
    You are talking to sell one sheet per 5 dollars. I think you won the lottery and want to spread golden coins to fishes in the pond.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Replicating something verbatim is not my interest. The Lumieres chose what they did because it produced the best result for the time and because it could be manufactured affordably. I think the goal should be a result, not a process. An end, not the means.

Reagent grade, analytical quality dyes from Sigma-Aldrich are always going to be expensive, but there are cheaper manufacturers out there for all sorts of colorants.
    Last edited by holmburgers; 04-11-2012 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the references that I found about Dufay are ambiguous as to whether it was pos-pos or neg-pos when used for MP films. The inference there was pos-pos as it was compared to Kodachrome and Technicolor which are both pos-pos.

As far as making a negative, I guess I never saw reference to any working examples of negative Dufay or Autochrome. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    If a color screen-plate product (like Dufaycolor, Autochrome, etc.) came to market today, would you use it?

What format would you prefer it in? How fast would it have to be? Would it have to be film, or would you bother with plates?

Would you be content with the one-off original? Would you go to the trouble to reversal process or would you process it as a negative? Would you scan it or attempt to print it on RA-4 or Ilfochrome?

What price point would seem reasonable to you?
    I'd use it if it came in 8x10 plates (first choice) or film. Price would depend upon results, of course. But I'd probably try it either way. Scanning and ink jet prints from an autochrome would be interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bump

Votes very much appreciated.

Just gettin' you ready for November...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin