Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,674   Online: 863

View Poll Results: Would you buy & use a modern Autochrome-type film?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, probably.

52 66.67%
  • Probably not.

6 7.69%
  • Would have to see the results first.

20 25.64%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have probably been exposed to some pretty poor DCG. We used to use it for making decals where I worked during college. I'm sure that there are better examples than the ones I saw then.

From your examples, the Autochrome should be much less grainy and "pixellated?" than Dufay, but not from what I saw. I have trouble scanning Autochromes, but those who have scanned Dufay seem to have a lot less problems. It might be due to the graininess of the emulsion then. IDK.

You can see the crushing of the Autochrome grains in the first example.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if the black spaces in an autochrome make for difficult scanning; it certainly slowed them down compared to Dufay.

I've been doodling some ideas for line screens that are like Dufay, but with sinusoidal or wavy lines, to hopefully introduce a more stochastic appearance that eliminates moire patterns. I suspect it'll work, but if it did it seems like that kind of design would be used in Bayer patterns.

Come to think of it, I've seen no screen-plates in person, besides my own humble experiments. Funny.. for such a lover of analog, most of it is seen on a computer screen! Argh..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Isn't the Finlay Screen in the previous post the same thing as a Bayer Filter mask?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pretty much, yeah.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Isn't the Finlay Screen in the previous post the same thing as a Bayer Filter mask?

... yes, in the sense that it contains 2 green filters for each red and blue filter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have a look at pentile matrices too, they're basically an RGBG Bayer array but the arrangement might get you less moire artefacts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Have a look at pentile matrices too, they're basically an RGBG Bayer array but the arrangement might get you less moire artefacts.
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Potato starch is so old-fashioned. How about crushed artificial gemstones? Garnet comes in many colors!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I understand correctly, you expose such a film through the base with the emulsion on the back and the filter mask on the front. How would you propose to put the filter mask on the base? Dufaycolor, wikipedia says, used a "greasy ink" and a convoluted sounding process. What about some sort of inkjet process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No potato starches, nothing primitive like that. Note that I said Autochrome-like... all I mean by that is a red, green & blue screen. Though I do like the gem stones idea! How 'bout ruby, sapphire and emerald? That will be reserved for the professional line.

Reading J.S. Friedman's History of Color Photography and the chapter on formation of screen-plates will give you some idea of the innumerable ways people have proposed to do this before. And then there's E.J. Wall's History of Three-Colour Photography...

All I'll say at present is that it's a "classic" method, though never used in a product as far as I know.

I personally have no interest in an inkjet screen, but I'd support anyone working on that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin