Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,400   Online: 978

View Poll Results: Would you buy & use a modern Autochrome-type film?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, probably.

52 66.67%
  • Probably not.

6 7.69%
  • Would have to see the results first.

20 25.64%
Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would you buy and use a modern Autochrome type film?

If a color screen-plate product (like Dufaycolor, Autochrome, etc.) came to market today, would you use it?

What format would you prefer it in? How fast would it have to be? Would it have to be film, or would you bother with plates?

Would you be content with the one-off original? Would you go to the trouble to reversal process or would you process it as a negative? Would you scan it or attempt to print it on RA-4 or Ilfochrome?

What price point would seem reasonable to you?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh huge yes. I am already in love with wet plate and could only imagine doing something closer to color. Beautiful! Love to get a 4x5 setup first.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The color palette and the texture would have to closely resemble that of the original potato-starch autochromes. I'm sure it would be frighteningly expensive so I'd have to be able to put together a kickstarter type project to get funded to do it. But if it was there, I'd definitely try it - I've got a few whole plate sized glass plate holders kicking around I think that I could use to shoot it, and I definitely have 11x14 glass plate holders which would be tres cool - could you imagine an 11x14 color glass plate original?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yes, yes, yes. Plates and Flexibile backing would both be excellent. 4x5 and 8x10 please!

ASA 25 or greater would be nice...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh yes. That would be amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd be happy to see what it looks like in 4x5
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh hail yeah!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    If a color screen-plate product (like Dufaycolor, Autochrome, etc.) came to market today, would you use it?
    That's an interesting question. I'd certainly give in a try if I could.

What format would you prefer it in? How fast would it have to be? Would it have to be film, or would you bother with plates?
    135, 120 or 220 film. Over 25 ASA, I'd prefer 100 ASA or over for most situations. I don't have a plate camera, so it's film or nowt for me.

Would you be content with the one-off original? Would you go to the trouble to reversal process or would you process it as a negative? Would you scan it or attempt to print it on RA-4 or Ilfochrome?
    No, I wouldn't be satisfied with an original I couldn't print or scan. I'd process it as reversal if the requisite chemistry or kit were available; otherwise I'd expect a processing service to be available, as per Kodachrome. I'd probably scan it.

What price point would seem reasonable to you?
    £5.00 to £10:00 per roll, depending whether processing was included.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the technical superiority of Dufay, and the ease of making it, I would only go with Dufay. Given the improvements in making screens, additive colors and emulsions, I think this would be a big hit, especially in LF sizes.

And Dye Bleach for prints.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't ever going to approach the quality (resolution, colour accuracy) of current C41 and E6 processes, is it? If so, I definitely wouldn't be a regular user but I might give it a once-off blast if it didn't require the purchase of large/expensive quantities of chemistry. If I could soup it using my C41, E6 or RA4 chems sitting on the shelves, all the better.

It would have to be film; I'm not bothering with a plate holder or new processing tanks. It'll have to either fit in a Paterson or Jobo 120 spiral or a 3010. I'd prefer 120 but if you're manufacturing this small-scale, my guess is that sheets are an easier option, in which case I'm fine with 4x5. ISO12 is usable for me though 25 would be better. And you'll need to provide development times/instructions for rotary development.

I would scan it for sure, but reversal processing or something printable to RA4 are both fine options. If the colour is good, I'd probably prefer reversal.

Price would need to be about $5/sheet (4x5") or less - you're competing with $2/sheet E6.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin