Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Velvia 50 versus Velvia F100

All,

I would like to ask for your thoughts on Velvia 50 versus Velvia F100. I've been primarly shooting the F100 version for about a year, but was considering a switch back to the 50 version. I feel that the F100 version loses some of the subties of color that the 50 version has.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried a box of 4x5 100F and did not like it as much as i like the 50.

I really enjoy the surreal colours of the 50.
    If i wanted true colour representation or if i was scanning then printing i would use the Astia 100F which has more exposure lattitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot one roll of 100F and did not think the colors were there and the 100F seems grainier to me, so I have stuck to the 50 shot at 40 and processed normally.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use both, mostly the Classic 50 (also at ISO 40) which is warmer and renders stronger colours. The Velvia 100F is good when pushed to ISO 200 as this warms it up and gives a useful speed increase when shooting in the forest in wind etc.This is how I now use this film.
    The 100F does not pick up pink dawn skies at all well, alarmingly so! Which you can see in the film test on my website www.baxterbradford.com in the "Just in" gallery. The film test is on the "Tried and Emulsional" link at the bottom of LHS frame, below the red anorak alert warning!! Sorry I couldn't find a direct way of supplying the link to you. That's frames for you I suppose.
    I did this test to see what to use in different circumstances. Sheet film made it easy to switch near instantaneously using same filtration.
    Just to complicate matters, I understand that in Japan there is Velvia 100 (not 100F) in Japan which is much more like the Velvia 50! This hasn't officially reached the UK yet.

Bax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also a limited edition film in Japan right now that ups the saturation about 10 times over the standard Velvia 50, it is called fortra(SP) and talk about surerealistic colors!

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always think of Velvia classic 50 as the equivalent to Spinal Tap's 11 on the amplifier. So where does that leave Fortra? - "The Darkness"?
    It must look like all of those images in the public domain which show why digital is such a bad idea!
    This when apparently the latest Fuji S3 digital camera is offering different curves to simulate various film emulsions.
    Nevertheless would be interested to see some accurate images from this Fortra.

Bax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the 100F primarily because it doesn't have the reciprocity issues that the 50 does. My exposures typically run several seconds (waterfalls and such) and Velvia 100F can go up to a minute without any exposure or color correction filters at all. 50 needs all of the above. 100F seems to do a nice job on the greens and yellows in these waterfall and outdoor settings.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    The 100F does not pick up pink dawn skies at all well, alarmingly so! Which you can see in the film test on my website www.baxterbradford.com in the "Just in" gallery.
    Thanks Bax, I think that is the very reason I have become dissatisfied with the film; I shoot a lot around sunrise and sunset and I feel that there are subtle tones missing from my shots that used to be there.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I've been using the 100F primarily because it doesn't have the reciprocity issues that the 50 does.
    I haven't done a lot of multi-second exposures, but will keep that in mind. It's easy to keep a box of both on hand.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience of the 100F is similar Robert. I really don't like its' rendering of sky colours and greens. Especially cyan/blue which I found tends to mush out to greyish.
    This put me off very quickly, and havn't gone back again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin