Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,496   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pattern of Spots on Negative

I'm curious about this pattern of spots that showed on this negative. I shot this roll redscale -- something I do quite often, and I've never seen this before. Can anyone identify what might have caused this? This is Fujifilm Superia 800 in the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (a plastic lens, wide angle, point and shoot). To redscale, I unwind the roll into an empty 35mm cassette, cut, flip, tape, and wind it back into its own cartridge. This was all done in the dark. The film was developed at Target. The spots go to the unexposed edges of the negative (across the sprockets), and they seem to get less prominent with each frame, though they never completely disappear. The attached image is frame #2.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0094-02.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some kind of physical process error. Look how regular the pattern is- there is no way a camera can produce this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely from the processor, though I don't quite know how they managed that.

On a side note, I had no idea what redscale was and had to look it up. I've heard of this long ago but have totally forgotten! I'm gonna have to give it a go!
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I wish I knew what they had done, and if it had to do with this being redscale. I process several rolls of 35mm there each month (for more than two years) and have never had a problem. They've done redscale for me before as well.

cscurrier - Yes, give it a try. You need to overexpose two to three stops from box speed in my experience. Err on the side of overexposing if anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there a pattern on the film pressure plate in the camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Is there a pattern on the film pressure plate in the camera?
    Ooo... interesting thought. It does look like the pattern on my film pressure plate in my ME Supers...
    Bvy mentioned using a P&S, not sure how the pressure plate would look.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was hopeful to see that pattern on the film door back, but I'm not sure that's it. Take a look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vwsback.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	49522

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I too thought it might be the pressure plate, because of the regular markings, but having see your posted photo I don't think this is the cause.

Regarding processing problem, I have never seen this pattern from a neg processed in a minilab C41 processor. Most leadercard fed processors have concave rollers that only touch the film at the edge, outside the sprockets holes on 35mm, so I am as confused as you are as to the cause of this.

Redscale film is basicly 35mm colour film wound onto the spool with the film base (not the emulsion) side facing forward. When you take your photo the light has to travel through the film base to get the emulsion. When printing the film you must put the negs into the printer carrier unside down to print it the correct way around. I have printed many redscale films for customers on a Fuji Frontier and never saw this pattern.

Try another one again and have it processed in the same place and then compare the results. Sorry I can't be of more help!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, so I shot my first redscale film and am so happy with how much fun it was. But, turns out, I got the same pattern of spots you did... They are pretty prevalent with most of the images, only one or two within the roll have no spots. When I first developed at work (where I do minilab processing at Rite Aid) I immediately noticed the spots and figured it was the film pressure plate, since my Pentax ME Super has that pattern against the plate. But when I checked this thread and saw your camera did not have the same pattern on the plate, I became a bit a discouraged. I dug around on the internet with not much new info to share on this. One user on Flickr insisted on that the spots appear when the minilab processors process the film upside down (since the film is loaded upside down). But when I processed my roll, I flipped it over to the rightside up and I know when "trainees" process film, they sometimes process the roll upside down, but the results are fine. And in my particular case, to perhaps add even further confusion..., even the exposed leader portion from when I loaded my film to the camera, has the pattern of spots splattered across it. How could this be to a portion of film that was completely exposed to light like every other leader when we load film...??? Attached are a couple examples. One photo of what bvy shows, and one of my leader showing the spots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redscale sample 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	49591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redscale sample.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	49592

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, for starters, I'm happy to have introduced you to redscale. It's a great process when it works out, and I like the image of your cat. It's interesting that the same thing happened to you. This confuses me more. I've done redscale before using the same film in the same camera, processed at the same lab, and I didn't experience this. For example...

Unlike you, I did not flip the film right side up before having it processed. Like you, however, I did notice the pattern over the unexposed leader.

Also, they didn't cut the negative (into strips) but they did scan it to a CD for me. I doubt that had anything to do with it, but it's more information in any case.

What film did you use? Do you also notice that the spots gradually fade toward the end of the roll?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin