Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,470   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks

Thanks for sharing all the great details on stabilizers and such, PE! Most appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format

formalin source

Took me a while to find a source for formalin. Searching through ebay proved fruitless !!

I'm not affiliated with this guy just found his prices reasonable.

Talk to Tom at: lsalow@peakpeak.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might note here that the Formulary will often special order chemicals, and also has some chemicals on-hand that are not in the catalog. Talk to Sherry or Bud.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo (polyethoxyethanol and ethylene-glycol), is it the same stuff as Kodak Photo-Flo 200 ? My bottle doesn't add 200 on the label.
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is not Photo Flo 200. That is probably Photo Flo 600, as Photo Flo 200 has Propylene Glycol, not Ethylene Glycol. It would most likely work, but the concentrations would have to be adjusted properly. If you have instructions for the bottle you have, make 1 L and add 3 - 10 ml /l of 37% Formalin.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is interesting, Ron. But to back up to your comment on RA4 so-called stabilizer - I have never used it and in fact wash my prints about triple the recommended time & volume, so feel comfortable
    I've done a good job. But what is the premise behind the stabilizer, or is there any other than a
    shortcut in cumulative dry to dry processing time? I've never even look up the ingredients for this
    stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are 3 color paper stabilzers. They are designed to maintain pH, present an oxygen barrier against fading, and to prevent growth of micro-organisms in the coating. One of them supposedly allows for reduced wash rate and / or time.

The original type 2 stabilizer would increase image stability by over 2X. It is no longer available and IDK how it would perform with current papers.

Disadvantages include increased tackiness to prints.

But then I said most of this in my OP.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    Took me a while to find a source for formalin. Searching through ebay proved fruitless !!

I'm not affiliated with this guy just found his prices reasonable.

Talk to Tom at: lsalow@peakpeak.com
    I did find sources for 10% formalin on eBay, though, one in a reasonable size in the UK and this lifetime supply in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-GAL...item33667a0a6a

Couldn't this just be used at 3.7x the concentration? Or are there other ingredients that would be hostile to film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger, that formalin is just fine. Just adjust the amount.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I noticed in the photos it has an expiration date listed of 8/27/2012. Does this stuff really go bad?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin