Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,903   Online: 923

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Reversal film is terrible... why even bother with it when we have such great negative material nowa days???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll never forgive Walmart for losing two rolls from my Iceland honeymoon, without a trace or an apology.

Best to bypass them if it's photos you care about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    A few months ago I dug out a partially used 100 ft roll of Velvia 50 that has been in my freezer for maybe 10 years since I bought it. At the time I cut a 36 frames roll out of it and shot it for testing. Everything was great back then. I have stored the remaining in the freezer ever since.

This time I cut a 24 frame roll to shoot another round of testing. I sent it to Wal-Mart for processing. They sent to to a Fuji lab to do the actual processing. 10 days or so later I picked up the slides and found that the colors on the slides are rather poor. The exposure looks fine but the colors are off and ugly.

There are two possible reasons. One is my film is too old and is no good any more. The other is poor processing. I have never had any processing done by Wal-Mart. I have yet another unopened 100 ft roll of this film. It has been in the freezer for so many years that I now want to get it exposed and processed. I don't know why I kept them for so long. I am willing to buy a Kodak E6 gallon kit to process it using my Jobo ATL 2300 processor. But I would like to make sure that my Velvia 50 is still good. My film is about 12 - 13 years old. It has been in the freezer for 10 years. How good a chance this film is still good? I think the reason I left it in the freezer for so long was because I was occupied by my Pentax 67ii with negatives. I still have quite some 35 mm negatives in my freezer waiting to be exposed.

I know I have to test the Velvia again and send it to another lab to process. But if the film is likely garbage now I would rather simply forget it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    I think the real issue is using the terms processing and Walmart in the same sentence, it's like using honest and politician in the same sentence. Walmart doesn't process slides, they send them to someone else, you have no idea who they send it to, a lot of Fuji stuff will come back using Fuji branded materials, doesn't mean it's done by Fuji, just that the people doing it use Fuji supplies and probably a Fuji machine, but they may not be doing all the proper maintenance on it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    Reversal film is terrible... why even bother with it when we have such great negative material nowa days???
    When I project negatives or look at 'em on a light box, the colors and tones are all wrong. Skies are dark, the sun is dark blue, and shadows are light. Leaves and grass are bluish-red. Plus there's that whole orange discoloration to 'em. That's why I shoot reversal film.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Plus there's that whole orange discoloration to 'em.
    Huh? You must be using the wrong kind of film. My film has a neutral base, smooth tones and it's never had problems with color-shifts. The edge-markings say "Kodak 400-2TMY". /2

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why would bring it to the place where they sell tampons and take film at the same time?!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    Thanks for the replies to my question. I don't think my Velvia 50 film was sent to dwayne's for processing. It looked like a Fuji lab. I could be wrong of course.
    Fuji shut down their own US labs years ago. Dwayne's now subcontracts for all Fuji E-6 lab work, even if it goes to Dwayne's in the Fuji envelope from Walmart. Another store in my area also sent out to Fuji, and that also went to Dwayne's. If you check the Fuji brand E-6 mailers at B&H, you'll see on the web site that it goes to Dwayne's. There is no Fuji run E-6 lab in the US. If you send direct to Dwayne's the cost will be a lot higher than Walmart and the processing is done on the same line. The box, mounts, and markings all match. If you don't believe the multiple people here, and need confirmation, call Dwayne's at 1-800-522-3940 and ask.

One reason to use Walmart for E-6 is that most areas in the US no longer have active E-6 lines. The one pro lab in a major city near me only does one E-6 run per week, same turn around time as Walmart/Fuji/Dwayne's. Walmart is often the only option for local drop-off and pick-up.

I have tried http://www.agximaging.com/ for 120 E-6 on the advice of another APUG member with good results, but I've also sent 120 E-6 in through Walmart to Fuji/Dwayne's with good results.

As for lost film, Walmart, their courier, the lab, or the postal or delivery service to any lab can occasionally lose film, but if you have no local E-6 line like most of the US, there's not a good way to avoid that risk. I've sent dozens of rolls to Fuji/Dwayne's from two local stores over the last several years with no lost film and good quality results.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Huh? You must be using the wrong kind of film. My film has a neutral base, smooth tones and it's never had problems with color-shifts. The edge-markings say "Kodak 400-2TMY". /2

Mark Overton
    Nope. I'm using the right kind of film - reversal film. The film for color prints just doesn't look right when projected. I do have a roll of Tri-X in the fridge though that I'm gonna get out one of these days and bracket to find which ISO I like it shot at.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yeah ... fuji only did c41 35mm ( and cn c41 if you asked )
    everything else went to kansas ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Nope. I'm using the right kind of film - reversal film. The film for color prints just doesn't look right when projected. I do have a roll of Tri-X in the fridge though that I'm gonna get out one of these days and bracket to find which ISO I like it shot at.
    In all seriousness, seeing just one set of slides in the 1970's convinced me to switch to slide film. Well done slides look almost 3-d, with stunning colors.
    So why do I shoot just B&W and C-41 now? I dunno... convenience? More latitude? But I still love what reversal can do.

Mark Overton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin