Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,457   Online: 930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I misread the 98% as 90%. Sorry.

As for the Antical #4, you can use EDTA for this with no problem.

As for Ethylene Diamine Sulfate, you have to compensate for the Molecular Weight of the salt which is much higher. For example, Eaton, in his text on Photographic Chemistry lists use of the Sulfate at 7.8 g/l in the E1 or E2 color developer. He does not specify which version.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    Ok thanks Ian. I just thought that if I could get as close to the kodak formula it would be best.

I was just notified by my supplier that any chemical liquid or solid with the word "amine" in it would 99% of the time be classed as a "hazmat".

So I guess I'm screwed !!!
    There's more ways to skin a cat The Kodak way is just that particular company's approach and there were many other approaches that worked just as well. Remember Kodak don't actually make any chemistry it's now made for them by one of the pioneering photochemical companies at the fore-front of colour chemistry, particularly colour developing agents - Champion, who were known previously as May & Baker for many years.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

EDA / EDTA

Is it just me, or is EDA and EDTA somehow mixed up ?

EDA (Ethylendiamine) is used as a Silver solvent in the Color developer and does increase the contrast in two ways.
    It lowers D.min due silver solving and somehow increased developer activity.

Often it is substituted by SCN (Silver solvent only) due its limited availability in homebrew formulations. This can be done, but EDA works definitely a bit better without changing color balance.
    My first tests where always without this hard to find stuff, and I’ve been happy with them…

EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is sequestering / chelating metal ions, against catalytic degradion of the developer, or as a decalcifying agent.

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The Kodak way is just that particular company's approach and there were many other approaches that worked just as well.
    Kodak sensitized products are tested and released for sale based on the Kodak standard process. Other processes may work, but verification of quality results is then up to the user.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amazing how some of these seemingly essential chemicals are so un obtainable. Or so expensive as to be out of reach.

Photo supply houses do not stock them.

How are we suppose to maintain film and processing without the materials ???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stefan, you are correct. Ethylene Diamine and EDTA function as you say and some people who are not chemists have mixed them up. I think there is a great deal of confusion out there over this.

I really don't know about KSCN being useful in this case. I have never heard of it being used in a color developer but it is used in the first developer.

Try here:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...3269+219853286

or here:

http://www.chemicalbook.com/Chemical..._CB3271335.htm

For a direct source of the liquid amine, and the salt.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    EDTA is really cheap and available here, shouldn't be a problem for you getting it there if you want to try it?

Would salicylic acid be a substitute? That's available everywhere.

No KSCN available from photo supplier, but do have NaSCN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Athiril

It's not EDTA that I'm looking for. I'm looking for Ethylenediamine. Completely different stuff.

There has to be somewhere you can get this without jumping through hoops and paying 3 times the value of the chemical in hazmat fees !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee. I just realized where you can get some. It is in all E6 kits! Try one of them.

By juggling the chemistry, this CD can probably be used for VNF1 or any other E series color film.

This would probably be your best bet. After all, otherwise you are facing the same problems that those wanting to process Kodachrome are facing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow processing kodachrome is sooooo far out there for me that processing it never crossed my mind

Are you trying to say that I could use part of a E6 color developer and add some benzyl alcohol and make
    it work for VNF-1?
    That would be great.

I would just like to add some ED to my ever growing chemistry set just for the sake of making E6 work properly.

Sigma-Aldrich wanted me to jump through some hoops before they would even consider selling it to me.

I'm trying to get artkraft to stock some but he says he has to pay through the nose with hazmat too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin