Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,811   Online: 875

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Peel apart film in the field

When working with peel apart instant film indoor everything works great, but when moving outdoor and far away from the darkroom things get more complicated on how to handle the negative and the paper picture.

Indoor / near darkroom it's easy to just leave the picture to dry and then washing of the goop on the negative and leave it in a water bath until the shoot is finished.

Outdoor in the field however:
    - how do you store the negative until you get home to the darkroom? I must somehow be able to store from 1 to 10 negatives in water withouth the negatives sticking to each other.
    - how do you dry the paper picture? For example when it's like 10 degrees celcius, wind and rain. While drying the paper it's sticky so I can't put it in my bag or pocket. And usually I'm busy with shooting a new exposure with regular negative while the print is drying, so I can't hold it in my hand.

I'm thinking that I need some kind of box where I can put several paper pictures and stick them to something so they can dry without sticking to each other or the box. Similar system for the instant negatives, some kind of water tight box/bottle where I can put one and one negative without they're sticking to each other or the container.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are talking about Fuji FP-100c or FP-100c there is a simple solution, don't peal the photo until you are in a controlled environment. The Fuji reaction is, believe it or not, self terminating. I have left photos un-pealed for a few hours and they came apart and looked fine.

Your actual mileage may vary, so you might want to do some tests.

If your using Polaroid film, this will not work.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    I'm thinking that I need some kind of box where I can put several paper pictures and stick them to something so they can dry without sticking to each other or the box. Similar system for the instant negatives, some kind of water tight box/bottle where I can put one and one negative without they're sticking to each other or the container.
    I was about to suggest something like a portable archival print washer you could fashion. If you could find a water tight plastic bin, like a Rubbermaid container, or something, then insert a few or more plastic dividers so the negatives can stay separated, I can picture this working.

For the prints themselves, I would think something like one of those paper accordian portfolios may work. But it may close too tightly and rub against the prints. But I'm sure you can find something of that nature that should work.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, something like that. I just have to find a small enough water tight container with a proper lid wich won't unscrew or open easily.

To don't peal the photo is the last way out if I don't figure out any other ways of doing it. Many times the instant photos are tests, so it would be necessary to peal the photo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that will work out for you.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're still lucky to have Polaroid type 55, there's a little bucket with separators that will hold your negs in water until you can get into a darkroom. I've heard of some people have used Rubbermaid sandwich type containers with water. Some people have had problems storing the negs sandwiched between wet paper towels because the paper towels will leave a texture on the soft emulsion. I'm not that brave. Last time I shot Polaroid type 55 in the field, I save the processing until I'm in a 70 degree darkroom with a bath of sodium sulfite ready. I hope some day, that some form or another of Polaroid type 55 will come back. I love the stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin