Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,875   Online: 837

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    I have gone the route of mixing full 5 liters from a kit at a time and storing it in completely full&squeezed PET bottles in a refrigerator (do not freeze it!). This way, the developer seems to last for about 6 months.
    I use glass bottles, filled to the top and have had C-41 and RA-4 developers last more than three years mixed. This is not refrigerated. After this experience, I would never think of trying to deal with partially filled concentrate bottles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, SIWA, PET plastic (clear, brittle plastic) is the best thing to happen to storage in the past 20 years. And, best of all, they cost nothing because they are in every trash can. Fill to the very rim and use glass marbles to take up the slack. For small quantities use 50ml liquour bottles (with the metal cap). Great for storage of concentrates, too, but remember to always fill to the rim. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markwny View Post
    I read your FAQ as you suggested. Lots of good information, but it left me still wondering about the care of C-41 concentrates. In the FAQ it mentions that most b&w concentrates, e.g. Rodinal, are very stable and require no special treatment. It also says that mixed developer needs to have the oxygen removed from the bottle, and several methods are described. I didn't see anything that explicitly talks about the multi-part concentrates used for C-41 though.
    True.

When you buy the concentrate, it comes packed in nitrogen but with typically very dodgy caps on bottles that won't properly reseal. I tend to rebottle it into 100mL glass bottles and that looks like it works but I haven't tested any concentrates that are more than a few months old via this method. I'll add to my FAQ once I know that this method is working for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin