Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,042   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

C-41 re-use and storage

Hi,

I was wondering how many times do you re-use your c-41 soups?

And How do you store them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mix a liter of each of the three steps and replenish.
    I use Kodak Flexicolor Replenisher
    http://www.adorama.com/KKFCDR5G.html

I strore in FULL 1 litre PET bottles that originally had soda water from the grocery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I mix a liter and use for about 12 rolls. After 12 rolls (24 or 36) I toss it and mix new. I have a 750 ml glass bottle for storing the developer and I keep the remainder of the solution in a smaller bottle and replenish from that.

For my concentrates, I use the same kit mentioned above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I save up 12 to 16 rolls [or equivalent, I use 35mm, 120 and 4"x5"] and process all the film in one and a half or two days and dump the chemicals.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the one liter Unicolor kit from Freestyle, I save up anywhere from 8-12 rolls for processing, then throw the chemicals out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I replenish with flexicolor, using glass bottles.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    I mix a liter and use for about 12 rolls. After 12 rolls (24 or 36) I toss it and mix new. I have a 750 ml glass bottle for storing the developer and I keep the remainder of the solution in a smaller bottle and replenish from that.

For my concentrates, I use the same kit mentioned above.
    Is there any need to take precautions with the concentrates to prevent oxidation, such as using nitrogen to replace the air in the bottles?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the Fuji (rated at 16 rolls/L unless process ISO400+), make up 1L at a go and put the 16 rolls through. Sometimes the developer spends 3mo in the fridge between processes but that's fine as long as there's absolutely no air in the bottle.

See the Film FAQ in my signature and click on C41 for a bunch more info on storing developer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I use the Fuji (rated at 16 rolls/L unless process ISO400+), make up 1L at a go and put the 16 rolls through. Sometimes the developer spends 3mo in the fridge between processes but that's fine as long as there's absolutely no air in the bottle.

See the Film FAQ in my signature and click on C41 for a bunch more info on storing developer.
    I read your FAQ as you suggested. Lots of good information, but it left me still wondering about the care of C-41 concentrates. In the FAQ it mentions that most b&w concentrates, e.g. Rodinal, are very stable and require no special treatment. It also says that mixed developer needs to have the oxygen removed from the bottle, and several methods are described. I didn't see anything that explicitly talks about the multi-part concentrates used for C-41 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markwny View Post
    Is there any need to take precautions with the concentrates to prevent oxidation, such as using nitrogen to replace the air in the bottles?
    Yes, for the developer part that has the CD-4. It will be difficult because it is in a small bottle. If you do not protect it well, it will go bad a lot quicker than mixed solutions would go.

I have gone the route of mixing full 5 liters from a kit at a time and storing it in completely full&squeezed PET bottles in a refrigerator (do not freeze it!). This way, the developer seems to last for about 6 months. You also end up saving time and avoiding possible mixing errors when you mix the whole kit at a time.

Fixer concentrate can go bad too when stored with a lot of air. I have found no problem in just storing it in the fridge, too. Luckily, you can see it visually if your fixer is going bad.

Bleach, OTOH, likes oxygen. It doesn't need it when fresh, but if you are going to overuse the bleach for cost savings, you should allow a lot of air in the bottle and shake it well every once in a while.

I use developer, fixer and final rinse as one-shot, but replenish bleach by discarding half of the old solution, aerating the remaining half, and topping with new. But as I buy kits, I end up getting some extra bleach. But as it keeps forever and as it is the most expensive part; and also the one heaviest to ship, it's good to have some for the future "just in case" . Note that I rotary process in Jobo tanks with the minimum chemistry volumes. If you do the traditional manual agitation, you probably don't want to do one-shot as it would get twice as expensive.

As for storing chemicals in PET bottles, take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdu4cCOrf3I . It is not that difficult..........
    Last edited by hrst; 04-23-2012 at 06:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed a typo on CD-4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin