Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,674   Online: 883

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question aout Unicolor 2 Liter Kit

Hi everyone, I have recently decided to give home developing of C-41 a try but have a question about the kit I've purchased.

I bought the 2 liter kit from Freestyle and am wondering if I need to mix the entire kit even though I may only do about two rolls at a time?

If I do have to mix it all at once, what's the best way to store what I don't use? Can I just pour the used chemicals back in with what wasn't used or should everything live in their own container?

From my search, bits and pieces of these questions were addressed, but not really in the fashion in which was helpful to me.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it a powder kit?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, yes it is the Unicolor C-41 powder kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't try splitting powder kits at all.
    Your best bet would be mix the entire 2 litres and store it in smaller full pet bottles.

Theres no way to know if you split the powder if you have the right amounts of each chemical present in your split amount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dive in. I developed C41 for the first time last night using the 1L kit. I was very carefully with time and temp, used a water bath for the chemicals and tank. Everything turned out fine and I wondered why I hadn't done it years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Prestond,

I have had excellent results with that kit, and the mixed solutions seem to last a very long time. I even tried a bottle of 14 month old dev and blix, just for the heck of it, and compared it to a test roll taken to Costco. Both rolls (Gold 200) came out well, except for slightly less density with the old chems. I wouldn't recomment it though. If you control temperature well (I have a home made thermostatically controlled bath) you will be pleased with the results. One tip, use distilled water for the dev, blix and stabilizer, and add a little Photoflo the the stabilizer or you will have spots. Good luck!

Best regards,
    Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will proceed with mixing the entire kit and just store what isn't used appropriately. I'm really excited about doing this and starting to wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin