Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,970   Posts: 1,632,721   Online: 817

Page 41 of 105 FirstFirst ... 31353637383940414243444546475191 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a half-dozen rolls of FP4+ in 120 loaded up into my Jobo to run tonight when I get home from work - they're an accumulation from the past several months. The very most recent was a roll of 120 Tri-X 400, and a pair of outdated (but surprisingly functional) Polaroid Type 79 sheet film prints in my Intro to Large Format class. The Type 79 is surprisingly viable considering it is almost a decade out-of-date. Color is not terribly consistent or reliable, but the chemical pods broke as expected and coated the film evenly.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot my much loved stock of Technical Pan and Illford Pan F

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker, infrequent poster here. Had a great experience recently that fits this discussion well. I recently bit the bullet and bought the Nikon F6 with the 70-300 and 500 mm lenses. Shot my first roll of Ektachrome 100G two weekends ago and just got the slides back. I bought a brick of the 100G before discontinuation and two bricks of 100VS. Now I wish I'd bought more 100G. The blues of the sky are amazing and the colors seem, well, "right" to my amateur eyes. I think I like the 100G better than the 100VS.

Slightly off topic, but would any of our more well learned members possibly have a recommendation as to currently produced films that have a similar appearance? I like Ektar 100, and I might be wrong, but it seems slightly more saturated than 100G and slightly less saturated than 100VS. I wish I could compare it to the mythical Ektar 25, but I never got to use that film. I do have a couple of cold stored Ektar 1000 rolls but haven't found a use for them yet.

Anyway, thanks again for letting me be a part of the forum!

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Portra 160

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker, infrequent poster here. Had a great experience recently that fits this discussion well. I recently bit the bullet and bought the Nikon F6 with the 70-300 and 500 mm lenses. Shot my first roll of Ektachrome 100G two weekends ago and just got the slides back. I bought a brick of the 100G before discontinuation and two bricks of 100VS. Now I wish I'd bought more 100G. The blues of the sky are amazing and the colors seem, well, "right" to my amateur eyes. I think I like the 100G better than the 100VS.

Slightly off topic, but would any of our more well learned members possibly have a recommendation as to currently produced films that have a similar appearance? I like Ektar 100, and I might be wrong, but it seems slightly more saturated than 100G and slightly less saturated than 100VS. I wish I could compare it to the mythical Ektar 25, but I never got to use that film. I do have a couple of cold stored Ektar 1000 rolls but haven't found a use for them yet.

John
    Unfortunately, no. I liked E100G and it was my favorite slide film after Astia was discontinued. To some extent I then moved to Provia 400X which was mostly for the extra speed when needed but also is a bit more moderate in contrast but it, too, is now sadly discontinued.

EDIT: I see the recommendation for Portra 160 and if neg film is included, yeah, that's as close as neg film is going to get. But I would really only compare other slide film to E100G and there isn't anything really close.

I wonder if messing with the development of Provia 100 might move it closer, maybe expose a bit more and develop a bit less, but this is experimental territory.

Shooter
    35mm
    There might be a closer alternative: Agfaphoto CT Precisa 100. It is an older version of Provia 100 (without the F).
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't really tell the difference between Precisa and Provia, except that Precisa is cheaper. I have some (about 10 rolls so far) in my freezer now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some Portra 160 and 400 and Ektar 100. All 35mm.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmboycu View Post

John
    Closest would be Fuji Provia100f

If you want even more saturated color, look to Fuji Velvia 100 or Velvia 50

NOT Velvia100f this is discontinued but a lot on the shelves and isn't as good (in my opinion).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm now on a strict diet of hand-made Dry-plates. Commercially made films were giving me a bad case of "gas". No more of that silliness. And without the gas problem I can now afford the more exotic methods. Occasionally I'll sneak in a paper-negative or two just to add variety. Hand-coated paper-negatives are definitely on the horizon.
    Last edited by DannL.; 04-23-2014 at 11:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin