Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,696   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Mystery film - can anyone please help identify this roll of film?

Hi all - having trawled through hundreds of forum posts on here and seen comments from some clearly very knowledgeable members, I hope that one of you might be able to help me in identifying the below mystery film.

I bought this in a job lot of old films and sadly didn't take down the full details of it before I gave it to the lab for development, and now all I have to go on for my records is this image. Any suggestions as to its brand/make would be very gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery film.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	50012

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ferrania film sold as own label by ColourC?are? I seem to remember ColorCare as being a lab that processed for UK pharmacies etc.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

Is there anything printed on the other side?

Most likely it is a "house" brand colour print film purchased in quantity by someone like a photo-finisher for use in a "have your film developed and printed by us and we will give you a free roll of film in return" program.

It is quite old - ASA/DIN rather than ISO. It isn't incredibly old though - 24 exposures rather than 20.

The fact that it is made in Italy hints that it might have been manufactured by Ferrania.

Is there anything on the back that might hint as to the process (C-41, C-22, or ??)?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Ian and Matt for your speedy response (and warm welcome) - looks like I came to the right place

ColourCare could indeed be it.

I honestly can't remember what else was written on the other side, but I was able to get it printed at a standard processing lab that doesn't do any sorts of special film developing - basically just 35mm... don't know if that means anything.

I will do some research into ColourCare.

thank you again!

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think there ever were other colour material manufacturers in Italy besides Ferrania (later bought by 3M and labelled as such, later sold by 3M and labelled Ferrania again).

Ferrania seems to have closed doors (of film production facilities) a few months ago. I still have some of their rolls in the fridge to be developed. It seems there are now only 3 colour film producers left in the entire planet (Fujifilm, Kodak and Agfa).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think Ferrania has edge markings so you could look at the negatives for clues. I have some Ferrania that was lying around in a closet and I shot and developed it recently and it wasn't bad - the edge said "Ferrania 200 87/2" or something like that, which I assume means it was manufactured in 1987.

I am told that Ferrania closed down 2 years ago and the factory was torn down. Solaris film in Europe, which used to be Ferrania, is apparently made by Kodak. This was told to me by the owner of a company that sells a huge number of private label disposable film cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did Ferrania ever make older, C22 compatible film? If so, it might be important for the OP to know.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think Ferrania was a spin-off from 3M. The spin-off must have been in the mid-1980's or early 1990's (because I was buying 3M film in the 80's before it spun off). So I don't think Ferrania itself would have made C-22, it would have been too late for that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Of course, the film could be 3M (i.e. pre-Ferrania)...

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Made in Italy = Ferrania (probably).
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin