Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,290   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your help guys. Still battling this issue of the mottling. Not understanding why it is happening, I can't remedy it intelligently (not that I am a chemist) other than blind experimentation. Heh.

But I have confirmed it is happening during the B&W development stage.

I've added benzo, and bromide, tried development in Xtol, increased temperature and decreased development time. Nothing seems to have an effect on the mottling. Are these the dye clouds I am seeing giving this mottling?

I am convinced there is a specific cause and if areas do not have this mottling then it is possible to prevent the mottling from happening altogether.... PH? Different developers? Anyone have any ideas?

I know I could be more productive with my time then pissing around with this method of photography with color paper, but hell, it's keeping my brain active, and my hands busy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree it was quite fun playing around with reversal RA-4. Maybe I get back at it some day again. When having no expectations at all, every discovery will be genuinely fun. And it's so cheap! I have still so much to try; for example, thiocyanate in FD; lower-contrast FD (e.g., increasing metol against HQ), or possibly two-bath FD. And SLIMT! None of these will be a silver bullet that would turn the paper into Ilfochrome, but I'm quite sure this process can be made surprisingly usable.

Anyhow, I agree that the mottling is a very weird phenomenon. I found no reason for it, nor I found any solution to it. I just noticed that when the development works correctly and achieves a paper-white Dmin, the mottling is much less severe than when there was the problem of incomplete development (cyan Dmin). But it is still there, no matter what!

Are you having good paper white with normal exposures from slides?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've stated before that all chromogenic color reversal papers have some degree of mottle. IDK the reason, but it is mentioned over and over again in reports and comments that I read at EK. It seems to be worse on RC support than on FB paper IIRC. And, it varies with the process and scene.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally have some free time to start messing around again. I picked up some Kodak Ultra Endura. Managed a single sheet last night and so far I am optimistic the mottling may not be a problem anymore. Under-exposed but I'm getting a nice black, and no mottling is visible at the moment.

I still have to peg down ISO and filtration to be certain. I'll keep you all posted over the coming days or weeks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anybody have an example of an RA-4 reversed print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! There have been many here and on Photo Net. I have a 16x20 print on the wall just a few feet to my right.

But a scan of a print just does not do justice to the image IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, so the process can produce good results! From reading this thread, I thought that the results were, at best, not so good. Since I can only get Endura as a big roll, I didn't want to spend money and then have something that I wouldn't use up before it shifted.

(Monday I got a 4x5 chrome back from Praus of the view from my work's kitchen window of Seattle, and my coworkers were totally blown away from looking at it through a loupe. So I'm trying to find a possible method for direct reversal printing. The image is in my gallery.)
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 03-29-2013 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some have reported best results if using polyester based RA-4 "paper". Because it's not paper, there is no mottle. However, this material is rather difficult and/or expensive to obtain. Look for Ilfoflex or Fujiflex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is important to pick the right slide. Portraits just do not work well. Some report mottle. Some report a cyan Dmin. It varies. I generally get good results with landscapes and flowers among others. I have heard more problems with CA than with Endura. I use Dektol and RA-RT developer replenisher. Others report poor results with these and use other first developers.

I use a heavy magenta filter pack, as my prints come out very much off color.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin