Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,824   Online: 732

Thread: Fuji Velvia 100

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji Velvia 100

What is the difference between Velvia 100 and 100F. From whats on the Fuji website it appears that the 100F has more accurate colors. Just wondered what others think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you going to do with the chromes?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 100f has the same lateral halation characteristics as Provia 100f. It also has tamed the color shift affecting yellows. Personally, I think Velvia 100 (not 100f) is the best.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 100 is essentially Velvia 50 with increased speed. It does not share Provia's reduced contrast and neutral palette. However, it has very sensitive whites that blow much more easily than the avant garde, yellow-boosted palette of Velvia 100F. I would rate Velvia 100 at EI80 to tone down its brutal contrast in marginal light (on a par with RVP 50, commonly rated at EI40) and be wary of extended exposures at the risk of blowing highlights. Personally I don't like it: one roll of testing was sufficient for me to stay with RVP 50 and use RVP 100F for increased colour depth over RVP 50's heavily green-centric palette. Experiment for yourself over two rolls parallel to RVP 100F because many, many users will have their own opinions.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Velvia 100 has higher contrast, with less shadow and highlight detail, which can be washed out easier than other films i've used. I find Velvia 100 has a similar kind of saturation as the 50 speed, just a little cooler in the greens and yellows. I dislike Velvia 100 and prefer Velvia 50 over this film, except maybe a deep red sunset scene, which looks fantastic on the 100.

Velvia 100F has like you say more accurate color over Velvia 100, imho less cyan and more magenta and yellow in some shots, greens appear a muddy olive. Some say Velvia 100F is like a slightly more contrasty and saturated Provia 100F. I still have yet to find a place for this film, except for saturated portraits in a landscape setting.... but i keep shooting the odd roll.

I guess it will always depend on your own personal views and opinon at the end result, and the type of shots you intend to use the films for. A photography friend only uses Velvia 50 for everything he shoots.... to my utter dismay at times!
    Last edited by bishy; 05-14-2012 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I´m a great fan of Velvia 100 (without F) too. I really like how impressive it handles blue skies. Together with Provia 400X this is my favorite slide film. If I want accurate colors I use Astia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn Lake.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	51180

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, my experience with Velvia is not that much, i did shoot few rolls of those 3 Velvia films, i did put Velvia 50 as top even before i use it first time due to many recommendation, but i gave Velvia 100 and 100F a shot or two to see. To my eyes, i really prefer Velvia 100[non F] over 100F, but i can't judge if that is always the case, and from one roll of Velvia 100 it gave me really an amazing confusing impression, can't rated it over 95% but can't rated below 85% as well, so i don't know if this film should be one of my favorite slides or not.

Here are 4 shots taken by using Velvia 100[without F], first one is the top best and the rest are not that top notch but not bad either:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img073x.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	834.4 KB 
ID:	51454
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2116/img072.jpg
    http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3752/img070.jpg
    http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7048/img071.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info, with Ektachrome gone I was just looking at other E6 films. The 100 speed vs 50 speed might be better if you were shooting hand held and not on a tripod. I would probably use it for general photography, landscapes, lighthouses and outdoor scenes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin