Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,705   Online: 717

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RA-4 and stop bath

Quick question: Is a stop bath between dev and blix essential with RA-4 in a slot tank (nova) when working at 35 C with 2 litres of chems? The reason I ask is that I have started to get less than white (tending to be very light green) boarders on my prints, when the boarders should be white! I am wondering if a normal strength stop bath would do this? All chems / papers are fresh and the darkroom is light safe, and I do not use a safe light.

Any thoughts would be most welcome,

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A stop bath will prolong the life time of your blix in the Nova, but it is not necessary. Do you have fresh RA-4 paper and stocked in the right way (fridge <12 degerees C).

Are there signal lights (dokatimer) or other equipment which can give a problem on your RA-4 paper. Specially Kodak Endura is very sensitive for these kind of failures.

Best regards,

Robert

www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    A stop bath will prolong the life time of your blix in the Nova, but it is not necessary. Do you have fresh RA-4 paper and stocked in the right way (fridge <12 degerees C).

Are there signal lights (dokatimer) or other equipment which can give a problem on your RA-4 paper. Specially Kodak Endura is very sensitive for these kind of failures.
    www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
    Robert,
    Many thanks for your help. The paper is fresh but not kept in a fridge, it is kept with my mono papers which all keep OK. I have trapped out all the indicator lights but I do have a fair bit of glow strip dotted about - would that be the problem? The paper in question is Supra 111. I am having another colour sess on Saturday so was wondering if it would be safe to cut the stop bath out completely. In the various instruction blurbs stop bath use doesn't seem to get much of a mention.

All the best,
    Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both the prewash and the stop are "optional". OTOH I need a prewash with Supra III to avoid the green meanies. Don't know who coined that term but when I saw it I knew what they meant. I wouldn't get just green borders I'd get a whole green print.

Supra III is a fairly old paper that hasn't been made in a few years. If it hasn't been in the fridge/freezer it may have gone off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The one place where I consider stop bath to be necessary is in RA-4 processing. I've experienced all kinds of random color shifts without it.

I sometimes wonder about all the fuss over stop bath odor. I've been using Kodak "Indicating", but only because I've had that bottle since time immemorial. When I run out, it will be 5% white vinegar diluted 1:4 with water.

Funny - it seems no is offended by a vinegar and oil salad dressing, taken internally... but put a weaker solution in a darkroom ... and WOW!! One seems to need a respirator, chemical contamination suit, goggles, emergency water bath nearby, LARGE ventilation fan...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Both the prewash and the stop are "optional". OTOH I need a prewash with Supra III to avoid the green meanies. Don't know who coined that term but when I saw it I knew what they meant. I wouldn't get just green borders I'd get a whole green print.

Supra III is a fairly old paper that hasn't been made in a few years. If it hasn't been in the fridge/freezer it may have gone off.
    Nick, do think it would be worth trying a pre-wash ? I have not come across the green meanies. Just the boarders looking a bit off. But I dare say the whites have been affected overall, although the imgages look OK. Do you know what gone-off Supra 111 would look like?

All the best,
    Neil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Funny - it seems no is offended by a vinegar and oil salad dressing, taken internally... but put a weaker solution in a darkroom ... and WOW!! One seems to need a respirator, chemical contamination suit, goggles, emergency water bath nearby, LARGE ventilation fan...
    If you ever put vinegar on a plate of hot chips you'll never find the smell of a darkroom a problem again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree 100% about the smell of stop bath / vinegar - I am hooked on it! I must admit I would feel happier continuing using a stop with RA-4.

Neil.

I agree with Ed. A stop bath is necessary, as its own step, particularly at 35C. At closer to room temperature the acid can be mixed into the bleachfix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your respones to my stop bath query with RA-4 at 35 degrees C. I had another go over the weekend and I am now sure the paper has aged and that this is causing the slight colour shift with the whites - easily noticed on the borders. Agree that a stop bath is essential 100%. I have ditched the paper and will be keeping my new stock in the fridge from now on!

Many thanks again,

Neil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin