Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,135   Posts: 1,637,380   Online: 1035

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

York Branded Film

Curious about some 35mm film that I found -- how old it is, who manufactured it, whatever. It's in a light yellow cassette and branded with "Place your personal film label here and return to YORK." It's 100 speed, 24 exposures. Made in Germany. It's DX coded and has a barcode: 719194-002743-403.

Is this the York Photo that's now yorkphoto.com?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That would be the York that is now yorkphoto.com and they still develop film. They are the cheapest in the world..haha I think it is like $3.25 a roll to develop and print. The last York brand film I had bought was in a white cassette so yours may be older. I don't know how old that would be. They don't do half bad for that price. It's like going to CVS with film. The negatives are always clean looking, although they just throw them in a wax paper envelope......
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Bvy,

It's probably Agfa film, which was manufactured in Germany. Agfa supplied lots of rebranded films in the 1980's and 90's until the former subsidiary, AgfaPhoto, failed.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awe, I remember their 99cents development and prints mailers when I was a kid in the 1980's... Only way I could afford to have film processes with my small allowance.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To those who have had York do C41: I see they can put your scans on their website for $1 a roll. I wonder if those images are high resolution and quality, or are they just small scans good enough for Facebook, but not archiving or prints?

Edit: I see their CD scans are only 1024 high. Good enough for Facebook and proofing, but not enough for a print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Who owns what? Does York own Clark? or does Clark own York? Just noticed their mailers have the SAME address. Which means the difference is moot. They lost a roll of 5247 I sent in over 6 months ago!

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12458 View Post
    Who owns what? Does York own Clark? or does Clark own York? Just noticed their mailers have the SAME address. Which means the difference is moot. They lost a roll of 5247 I sent in over 6 months ago!
    Clark now owns York. York had previously been a subsidiary of the former Nashua Corporation. Nashua sold the photo division a number of years back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin