Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,709   Posts: 1,669,810   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

X-Ray Film Fogging

Hello Everyone
    In July, I am going to France with the aim of taking many pictures.
    I will be taking: 10 rolls Kodak EBX 100, 2 rolls Fuji Provia 400X, 2 rolls Ektachrome P1600, 1 roll of Ektachrome 320T and 1 roll of Konica SR-G 3200
    I am quite worried about the X-Rays on the journey to and from France. I am travelling by ferry.
    Can anyone tell me how to avoid X-Rays, especially since I have some very high speed film.
    Thanks
    Ektachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put it in your hand-luggage, not your checked baggage.
    The scanners in security checks should not fog your film, the scanners for checked baggage might.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agree, I have put a roll of Natura 1600 film through 4 different x-rays on one trip, looks fine. That's in hand luggage of course. If you're very paranoid, like me, then you could request a hand check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carry on only. Hand inspection. High quality lead bags, not the thin plastic ones but the thick multilayer ballistic nylon covered type. They do weigh a ton though as a down side.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In Europe, you normally do not have the right to hand inspection of film.
    However, with a box labelled "1600" or "3200" speed, you might be able to get hand inspection.
    To make it easy for the authorities, keep your film boxes in transparent plastic bags.
    Never put film in checked bags: those x-ray machines need to be much stronger to penetrate suitcases and are guaranteed to fog film.
    They don't even lie about that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even in US, when the agents see something they don't know what it is, they just increase the output until it's visible. Lead bags are probably useless now because of that. I had all agents refuse to hand check films ISO 400 or lower on my recent trip. Since you have pretty high speed ones, I'd definitely request for hand inspections.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ektachrome View Post
    I am quite worried about the X-Rays on the journey to and from France. I am travelling by ferry.
    Didn't think the authorities worried too much about baggage on cross channel ferries. After all, there are far bigger dangers in the form of fuel tanks and cargo on the vehicles on board. That said, it makes sense to carry your camera gear and films as hand luggage, so if there is any concerns about xray damage, stick the films in your pocket. That's what I've done in the past when flying with 120 & sheet film - Most of the time, the security goons don't notice a slight bulge in the trouser pocket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would tell them about the high speed films and ask them for a hand inspection. I've never carried high speed film through airport security before and I have never asked them for a hand inspection. I recently came back from a trip to Sicily and had no problems with film fogging, but again, all film was 400 ASA or under.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as a note, I traveled by plane and had a roll of Ilford 3200 in my hand luggage.
    It was scanned two times in the carry-on security check, no problems.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've carried TMZ and Delta 3200 in hand luggage and two scans, no issues whatsoever. Hand check is a gamble..some agents will oblige and some won't be in the mood at all. It depends on how crowded it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin