Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Keep your chemical fresh

Here's a neat little storage device made for wine that might work for developers.

http://www.rei.com/product/781835/pl...oz#video-inner

It's only $10 each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just label it well as developer in case drunk Uncle Leroy finds it on Thanksgiving and decides to have a swig.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A cheaper alternative and not my idea, but picked up from a different forum, is to take an empty wine bag from a wine box and with a flat bladed knife, remove the tap, wash it out, fill with developer and replace tap. If you also reverse the box, it is easier to label it and no mix up, thinking it may be wine. If you squeeze bag when dispensing, it’s an oxidation proof method and you even get a spring loaded tap to stop you wasting any. Also, you get to drink the wine first.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format

Empty Wine Bag & Box for storing chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    an empty wine bag/wine box
    We have used wine bags,boxes for chemicals, however I believe there are some chemicals which should be stored in the fully plastic wine bags, i.e., not the ones with the metallic plastic. Does anyone have experience with this? Which chemicals for fully plastic, and which are ok with the metallic plastic? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am pretty sure the metallized plastics are a laminated product, and none of the metal foil is in contact with the liquids.

The foil is in the sandwich to cut the air permiability rate lower than that which is available in a given thickness of plastic alone.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    A cheaper alternative and not my idea, but picked up from a different forum, is to take an empty wine bag from a wine box and with a flat bladed knife, remove the tap, wash it out, fill with developer and replace tap. If you also reverse the box, it is easier to label it and no mix up, thinking it may be wine. If you squeeze bag when dispensing, it’s an oxidation proof method and you even get a spring loaded tap to stop you wasting any.
    How do you warm the developer to 102F?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    How do you warm the developer to 102F?
    Take the amount you need for your one-shot process to a separate bottle to be placed in a water bath, no?

For re-use or replenished processes, wine box is not very handy, but for one-shot processes, the smaller the amount used, the handier it gets. We use a wine box at our club darkroom to store stock Dektol to be diluted and used one-shot for every printing session. It kept in a perfect condition for more than a year, before it ran out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you don't feel like washing out wine bladders you can buy 10L water cubes from the supermarket for a couple $ and use them to make up and store developers. My Xtol lives in one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Take the amount you need for your one-shot process to a separate bottle to be placed in a water bath, no? For re-use or replenished processes, wine box is not very handy, but for one-shot processes, the smaller the amount used, the handier it gets.
    Yeah, that's the problem. Presumably the OP was talking about color developers (C-41 and E-6) since this is the color processing forum, which are reused. For B&W I use a wine bladder for my XTOL, but I discard it after use. I don't think a wine bladder is good for color processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem. Presumably the OP was talking about color developers (C-41 and E-6) since this is the color processing forum, which are reused.
    Ah, I mostly use one-shot procedures for color. I thought this would be the procedure many choose, because color development is usually done in a rotary processor which is economical even in one-shot process. On commercial level, the processes are replenished, and on a small scale, usually used one-shot, at least for developer. Reusing with increased times is an alternative for replenishing for maximum economy, especially if traditional inversion tanks are used.

Anyhow, processing a few films at a time, I tend to use at least 500 ml of developer. For this amount, I don't find 3-liter wine box approach practical enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin