Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,790   Online: 774

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    first off, if the can was opened the original kodak tape would either be messed up or not present. there's no putting it back on to look new. second, it should have been in a plastic bag.
    It's not very likely that the can was flashed but it does happen. Most likely your film is aged but not flashed.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Kodak tape was on firmly and the film is in a plastic bag inside the can. I think the problem just could be an aspect of ageing -- perhaps the film has selectively desinsitized, ie less so along the edge?

I have other ECN-2 films that have suffered considerable speed loss; I'm going to expose some of this at much lower speeds and see if that might mitigate the difference between the edge and the rest of the image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I recently tested some expired Kodak Vision 320T film. It is an ECN-2 negative film and was allegedly cold stored before (and during) my acquisition. It's probably about ten years old or maybe more.
    Perhaps it's expired old film.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wonder what happens if a can of film gets stored such that it gets much hotter on one side than the other? (eg if it were somewhere that sunlight could heat one side of the can)? Since you don't know for sure it was cold stored before you got it.

You could be methodical about which way around it was shot, reeled, and put in the tank to try to sort out out whether's it's in the film or the processing...

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is definitely expired old film! Duncan, you may have something there. I really doubt that the guy who sold it to me was really "cleaning out the film fridge" as he suggested, unless he forgot to mention that said fridge had not been plugged in for 8 years or something. I acquired other stocks from him and not all were good (but some were) - in fact some Reala 500D seems to have dropped to about 100D which is quite a toll. So it could be an effect of uneven heat here. Odd though that the edge seems more sensitive than the rest of the film, or at least seems a bit more dense, hence lighter on the scan.

I guess so far we have the following possibilities:

1. Light got to the edge. Probably debunked by the fact that the sprocket holes are clear. And I used the same loader to bulk load some Portra that seems fine.

2. Bad or insufficient chemistry - but I just used the same bleach and fix on some Portra with no apparent adverse effects, and the ECN-2 dev was freshly mixed from dry chemicals and previously unused.

3. Bad storage/uneven heat. this seems to be where I am going.

The negatives were very thin. Presumably, another aspect of poor storage would be speed loss. The question is: If I reduce the EI of the film and re-test, will the difference between edge and the rest of the negative be as pronounced with a thicker negative as it is with a thin one? Perhaps not, given the exposure latitude to over-exposure that most negative films possess. I will try to get to that tomorrow and see how things go. I am sure this was quite an awesome film stock once upon a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin