Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,775   Online: 996

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help dating a negative

Hello All,

I wonder if the photos below could be dated using the (minimal) edge markings.

The photos show a Packhard (what model?) belonging to E.B.Boughton, one of the directors of Automotive Products, PLC. A one time large car components factory based in Leamington Spa, England.

I worked at this place for 12 years and I'm now amassing documents with the aim of writing the history of the place.

Can these photos be dated? E.B.Boughton died in 1981 aged 99, the photos show the car parked in front of the main offices of the factory. My guess, and it's nothing more than a guess, is the 1960s. Do the negative edge markings tell a different story? Is there anything there to go on? All I have at present is a scan of this contact sheet. The negs may have been destroyed, not sure yet.

Many thanks!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know you love film, but you must not date it. Only date humans.

(I can't help you with the markings, sorry.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    chocolate, flowers, a movie?

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd guess late 60's based on the aluminum door to the building; that's sort of common to that era. There's also an air conditioner which might offer some clues; I don't know when window air conditioners came into popularity. If you have other photos of the building you could compare the vine growth on the building too, unless that was perfectly kept at that quantity forever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I'd guess late 60's based on the aluminum door to the building; that's sort of common to that era. There's also an air conditioner which might offer some clues; I don't know when window air conditioners came into popularity. If you have other photos of the building you could compare the vine growth on the building too, unless that was perfectly kept at that quantity forever.
    Thanks. In 1970 the firm celebrated their 50th anniversary by publishing a sycophantic book. This is the back cover:

The doors are wood, the air conditioner is there and the vine growth seems about the same. From this I think the photos must have been post-1970 unless the photo on the book was very old (unlikely).
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    I know you love film, but you must not date it. Only date humans.

(I can't help you with the markings, sorry.)
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    chocolate, flowers, a movie?

Marc!

Ahh, you see, in British English we say 'go out with' to mean doing on a date: I want to go out with you, not I want to date you which would be like an odd way of asking someone their age!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can't help on the image overall, but the car is a 1936 Packard One-Twenty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the replaced door is 70s maybe even 80s ...
    you might contact the company, and see if the
    maintenance-guy is still around, he might know
    when the door was installed to help date the photo.
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-01-2012 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    JP The AC unit seems to offer lots of clues, nice find! The AC unit in the pic in post #6 doesn't match the one in post #1. The one in post #6 is larger and presumably newer? What is that box on the awning in post#1 that isn't in number #6?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there a registration sticker anywhere on the car?

In the U.S. most cars driven on public roads must have a yearly registration sticker on the license plate and most states also require a safety inspection and a sticker on the windshield.

I don't see a registration sticker on the license but it looks like there is a sticker on the left side (of the vehicle) on the windshield. I can't see enough to tell what that is. If you can find a date on that sticker or some place else on the car you could pin the date of the photo down to plus/minus one year from that date.

Many (U.S.) registration stickers are color coded as well. Metal license plates are also reissued from time to time.
    Looking up sticker colors and/or license plate designs might also help.

What about the chauffeur? Is he still alive? If he is, just ask him!
    Was he an employee of the company or was he a personal servant to the owner? Company records might give a clue to the whereabouts of the man.
    Even if the guy is not alive anymore, you still have information about when the photo was taken. It couldn't have been taken after he died. Right?
    Hypothetically speaking, what if he died the day after the photo was taken?
    Find that man and you might find the answer to your riddle.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin