Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,058   Online: 868
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    158

    What did the lab do to my negs???

    So I tried a new lab the other day and fortunately I just gave them a test roll, cause they screwed it up bad. All the negs are extremely contrasty with blown highlights and very dark shadows, and there's a weird line running down the left side on every shot. There are some other problems too, like funky discolorations in parts of the highlights on some of them. Anyone know what went wrong? Bad chemicals or bad development? I've never seen film behave like that before, neither have I seen a line like that. The example below was shot in the shade with only some extra sunlight seeping through the foliage on her right shoulder. I also double checked that the line was not a scan artifact. Needless to say I'm not using them again, but I'd still like to know the cause.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000009-2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	51873

  2. #2
    Greg Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Crestview Hills, KY
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,913
    The line may be a scratch from the camera or processing machine, most likely the machine. The contrast and color may not be the negative at all, but the printer or scanner they used with incorrect settings.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

    Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

    "No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

  3. #3
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The line may be a scratch from the camera or processing machine, most likely the machine. The contrast and color may not be the negative at all, but the printer or scanner they used with incorrect settings.
    The thing is, I used another lab for the scans and I've used them before with good results. I also compared the negs visually to previous rolls by holding them up to the light and they look distinctly more contrasty.

  4. #4
    dpurdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland OR USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,048
    Images
    38
    The line looks like a paper scratch to me. You should be able to see it on the neg if it is a negative scratch.. which I don't think it is. If the film looks contrastier than you are used to then I would say the lab definitely over processed it. Of course you could verify that by having the neg printed somewhere else. I vote find a different lab.

  5. #5
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    The line looks like a paper scratch to me. You should be able to see it on the neg if it is a negative scratch.. which I don't think it is. If the film looks contrastier than you are used to then I would say the lab definitely over processed it. Of course you could verify that by having the neg printed somewhere else. I vote find a different lab.
    Thanks, so over processing would produce contrastier negs then? The scratch is definitely on the negative, I can see it just by holding it up to the light. It goes right trough the whole roll, even between frames.

  6. #6
    Worker 11811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,620
    In movie film, scratches that penetrate only the first layer of the emulsion show up as yellow lines when projected on the screen.
    Reverse that from a negative and what do you get? Blue?

    Therefore, I propose that it's an emulsion scratch that occurred after the image was shot and likely occurred shortly after development, when the film was still wet.
    If the scratch occurred in the camera, there wouldn't be any color in the mark(s) because the dye image wasn't formed yet. Right?
    Randy S.

    In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

    -----

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

  7. #7
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,370
    Images
    60
    The scratch is white on the scan, which says to me that it is not on the emulsion side.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  8. #8
    Worker 11811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,620
    It looks blue to me but I might be wrong or my computer's monitor might not be calibrated correctly. (Neither possibility is out of the question. )

    Regardless, I agree with you. Assuming the scratch is white and not colored, it would have to go through all three colored layers of the emulsion, appearing white to the eye or, when reversed, black in the print/scan. Thus, it would have to be on the base side, refracting light away from the paper (scanner sensor) and leaving a white mark.
    Randy S.

    In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

    -----

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

  9. #9
    amsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    158
    The scratch is definitely blue/purple in the scans.

  10. #10
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,521
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    So I tried a new lab the other day and fortunately I just gave them a test roll, cause they screwed it up bad. All the negs are extremely contrasty with blown highlights and very dark shadows, and there's a weird line running down the left side on every shot. There are some other problems too, like funky discolorations in parts of the highlights on some of them. Anyone know what went wrong? Bad chemicals or bad development? I've never seen film behave like that before, neither have I seen a line like that. The example below was shot in the shade with only some extra sunlight seeping through the foliage on her right shoulder. I also double checked that the line was not a scan artifact. Needless to say I'm not using them again, but I'd still like to know the cause.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000009-2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	51873
    Is the line on the actual negs?

    Because that looks exactly like to me a piece of dust or other small debris lodged on a moving scan head of a scanner.

    If they're scans they provided you I woudln't worry about the contrast. Someone posted 160S once from a minilab scanner, and hell it would have given Velvia 50 a run for it's money in both contrast and saturation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin