Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,676   Online: 1140

Shooter
    35mm

Fujihunt X-Press C41 Processing kit chemicals, help?

Hello there,
    I'm new to the forums so sorry if this has been asked millions of times (have done a search but not found exactly what im looking for)
    Bassically i have been using film for some time now (over a couple of years now) and fed up with the spending of money at jessops etc so i have purchased the Fujihunt X-Press C41 Processing kit with a developer tank.
    Now i know the whole process, how to develop with times temperatures and everything. However i'm new to this and the way the chemicals has come may have slightly confused me. Bassically if you know the kit, which im sure many of you do, it comes with the 2.5l Bleach, 1l fixer, 50ml Stabilizer and then the Developer A B and C.
    This is the part that is confuising me, because bassically i have the 5l kit but with all these small pots of chemicals im not sure what to do if you understand me?
    Do i have to bassically combine all of the A B and C into water and store them into a second container and do the same with the stablizer, fixer and bleach? And if i do have to put them into water how much should the measurements of everything be? OR is it possible to do 1Litre containers with each of these into water?
    I could be talking complete nonsence right now so please correct me if im wrong and i hope you understand what im trying to ask
    So if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it
    Many thanks
    Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are instructions included with the kit explaining how to mix up the concentrates into each of the working solutions. It results in 5L of each developer,bleach,fix, and stabiliser. What I do with this kit is make it up 500ml at a time and use that 500ml for a few rolls over the course of a couple of weeks, then dump it and make up another 500ml. This is accomplished by simply using 1/10th of each of the concentrates when making up the working solution. You need a measuring syringe for this, some of the amounts involved are pretty small. I top up the concentrates with protectan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay read through instructions properly (my apologies) Because this is all adding up to a 5l storage, could i simply devide by 5 for each measurement to create a 1l storage?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure, altho you may need smaller / more accurate grads to measure things out with.

What I have done with this kit (before Rollei took to distributing its Digibase C-41, which is just Fuji repackaged) is mix it up for one-shot use. With a Jobo processor, you only need 170ml for 1 roll of 120, so I round up to 200ml just to be safe. 400ml for the 3x120 roll tank, and 500ml for the 4x120 tank. Even with the import cost into the U.S., I still can come out ahead of any local lab, with perfect reproducible results.

Just make sure to keep the Part C refrigerated or any air removed from the bottle for longer term storage - it will go bad within a few months after the seal is broken (long before any of the other components).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are directions for the Fuji kit in the FAQ in my signature.

Yes, you can definitely make up smaller quantities. I typically make up 1L (16 rolls worth) at a time from the Fuji kit. Obviously you would use 1/5 of each concentrate to make each litre. Don't try to store the concentrates in the original bottles because the caps, once opened, are NOT airtight. You need to transfer the concentrates to glass bottles with a good seal and exclude ALL air using butane. You can store the developer working-solution in the fridge for many months in PET bottles, again with absolutely no air permitted. Fix and bleach can sit on the shelf happily; they don't really go off.

The other thing is that the bleach and fixer have 2-3x the life of the developer, so what I do is:
    - make up 1L of everything
    - soup 16 rolls then discard developer
    - make up 1L of developer
    - make up 1L of developer
    - send fixer off for silver reclamation, store the bleach until you can buy regenerator
    - make up another 1L of everything
    - keep going until all developer is used up...

At that point, you have lots of spare bleach and fix, the bleach being the most expensive part of the chemistry by far. You can now buy some more developer cheaply and use it with your old bleach+fix.

Remember to aerate the bleach (shake it in a half-full bottle vigorously) before each use. Oxygenating the bleach will restore much of its activity. Once you've put about 50 rolls per litre through the bleach (3x the capacity of the developer), you can buy "Bleach Regenerator" that will extend its life even further. I bought two of the 5L kits (160 rolls worth of developer and about 500 rolls worth of bleach before regeneration) so I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Don't put bleach or fix down the drain. Exhausted fixer can be donated to a photo lab who will reclaim the silver from it; bleach should be taken to a HAZMAT disposal location or the lab might be generous and take it from you at the same time as your fixer. Developer can go down the drain highly diluted, e.g. 10+1.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daire Quinlan View Post
    This is accomplished by simply using 1/10th of each of the concentrates when making up the working solution. You need a measuring syringe for this, some of the amounts involved are pretty small.
    Here in the UK, you can go in to most chemists (Boots included) and ask for a pack of syringes in 1ml, 2ml, and 5ml sizes - They come complete with needles, swabs, "sharps" disposal box and a couple of condoms. These are handed out free of charge for junkies and photographers mixing their own brews...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Here in the UK, you can go in to most chemists (Boots included) and ask for a pack of syringes in 1ml, 2ml, and 5ml sizes - They come complete with needles, swabs, "sharps" disposal box and a couple of condoms. These are handed out free of charge for junkies and photographers mixing their own brews...
    Indeed. I just buy 5mL and 20mL syringes (about 50c each) from the local pharmacy. No sharps included, so no danger and no questions asked.

Great for measuring any developer in small quantities, not just C41. Required for Rodinal, HC-110, etc where you want about 10mL per roll.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin