Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 767

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would use chrome, which for Kodak is very limited. Is there any problem with Fuji? Velvia would be interesting, and Provia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In AZ the only C41 film that gave me results that I liked shot normally was Reala. My best shots tho were always off slide film, E series Kodak and Provia. Portra is too de-saturated for me. Maybe overexpose by a little.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Velvia is not very versatile in the desert due to its high contrast. You should still be able to find
    Astia or E100 chrome film, and of course, Provia is still being made. Ektar has a little more exposure
    range than any chrome film so is a piece of cake to anyone who is experienced shooting slides, and
    it does have unusually good earthtone capture for a neg film - however, it's very important to use the correct color-balancing filters if you're under a blue sky in the shade. I always include an 81A
    for overcast and an 81C for deep blue shade (a common situation in redrock country - and don't expect to be able to correct a serious color imbalance afterwards!). Portra is more a fleshtone film
    when it comes to warm neutrals. So if you like that washed-out Richard Misrach kind of look it would be OK, but not if you want something more realistic and saturated. I'm not up to date on amateur color neg films, but probably
    wouldn't waste my time on them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    Going in August. Hopefully be there on full moon nite. Guess i'll try Ektar and Portra.
    Thanks for the tips!
    Since i don't develop color, any good labs to send to in SoCal?
    North Coast Photography Services in Carlsbad, CA has served me well. I am quite pleased with their service and the quality of their work. this is for both E6 and C41.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With or without a polarizer, in order if you can find them any more: Kodak Portra Ultra Color, Kodak Portra Vivid Color, Kodak Portra Normal Color, then Ektacolor.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Using a Portrait film for Landscapes makes about as much sense as using a Landscape film for Portraits. It doesnt. Use Kodal E100VS for Sedona. VS was designed for Sedona, and will give Fantastic results that will be jaw dropping. If you will be photographing a lot of people in your shots, use E100G. Portra was designed for, well, portraits, and will make that vibrant landscape look dull and desaturated. Ya, you can fool around in Photoshop to get it to look half decent, but it will never match E100VS or E100G.
    There is a very good reason all the Pro landscape photographers used Slide film, and E100VS and Velvia in particular to capture all the great calendar, book, and gallery shots of classic landscapes like Sedona for many years, until they went dig**al. They had Portra and similar films available, but did not use them. Because they will give sub par results when pressed into landscape use, wheras slide is optimized for landscapes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then you never used Ultra Color. Very saturated for everything but skin tones.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Saturated is one thing. Fake is another. Most of the calendar types have gone to Fauxtoshop for a
    reason. Discovering and photographing actual beauty is a discipline; turning nature into a cheap whore with a lot of tacky makeup, tatoos, and loud clothing is something else entirely. The red rock
    country has plenty of real color without trying to exaggerate it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Which is funny, because I find Velvia 100 does a pretty damn good job mimicking the colors of the Red Rock Desert. The other films I tried don't come close to the same vibrancy those rocks and green cottonwoods and ocean blue sky produce on their own. Most my slides put me back there better than any digital photo or C41 scan I have seen.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, kodak UC100 and UC400 were fantastic films. IMO UC400 was one of the best negative films ever made, with low grain, vibrant saturation, yet fantastic skin tones. Unfortunately, no longer made. My frozen since fresh stock from 2009 is beginning to have grain issues in the 400 speed, and the blacks are no longer pure black (white dandruff).
    But, Portra 400 and 160 of today are nothing like the UC emulsions. And even the UC emulsions do not equal slide film for landscape use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin