Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 823

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak film for Sedona?

I've only shot 120 B&W but going to Sedona, AZ soon and GOT TO shoot some color there. Whats best film for color prints? Like to shoot Kodak.
    also gonna shoot 35mm.
    thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektar since they've gotten rid of their slide films- slide films really do landscapes more justice and have more saturation and contrast. You can shoot landscapes with a tonally accurate film like Portra, it'll have the latitude to capture the whole scene, but it'll be dull. If you INSIST on C-41 film, and doubly insist on Kodak, you can't go wrong with Ektar... But if you were to bring a single roll of Provia 100f or Velvia 50, and shot it as an experiment, I'd bet you'd be hooked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar may work in this environment, but my choice would be Portra. Ektar is rather extreme in both contrast and saturation. It would work very well in many places in the southwest, but Portra gives a better balance. Sedona is not a stark place, and Portra would probably be better suited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can still find Ektachrome E100G. For more pop, try E100VS. I only ever shot Kodachrome at Sedona, so maybe someone else will chime in with more information on what to expect from those films, especially what they will do with a polarizer. I can say that I used a polarizer a lot there with Kodachrome, and it brought out the color of the rock very well, without looking artificial.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektar is a great film, but if you don't want to worry too much about exposure and contrast, losing the shadows etc, I'd go for Portra.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm surprised nobody recommends Kodak Gold films around here. Too proletarian I suppose, not elite enough. Anyhoo, Kodak's Gold 100 is my new (post-Reala reality) 35mm film. The colors are very natural and not overly saturated. But none of that matters unless you're printing them optically. If you're scanning or having a minilab process them, they're digitized, and can be as saturated or colorful as you want. Kodak Gold 100 is also very fine grained.

Fortunately, Reala is still available in 120. If you'll allow a non-Kodak suggestion, it's simply the best 100 speed film ever made. The only alternative from Kodak is Ektar.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'm surprised nobody recommends Kodak Gold films around here.
    In 120?

ezwriter, buy a roll each of Portra 160, 400, and Ektar 100. Test them yourself, and see what works for you. Photograph a series of shots around your yard or block in quick succession so any differences in light (time of day) will be minimized. Then make your choice.

Images
    Why limit yourself to Kodak? No matter the film a warming polarizing filter is essential. When are you going?

Shoot early morning and late afternoon.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Polarizing filter + negative film works well. But I have always shot Velvia in those types of locales with stunning results. Really makes the red and blue contrast of rocks and sky jump at ya.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Going in August. Hopefully be there on full moon nite. Guess i'll try Ektar and Portra.
    Thanks for the tips!
    Since i don't develop color, any good labs to send to in SoCal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin