Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,895   Online: 1239

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leaving Film in Hot Car

I was thinking about something yesterday and thought I would get some opinions on here. I shoot mostly 135 and 120 film and I always have my camera bag in the car with me (it's like a habit at this point, I'm more likely to forget my wallet at home than my camera bag).

I will usually leave my bag in the car for most of the dya while I am at work and in class. Is it safe to leave film in such hot temperatures? I haven't noticed much of a difference in IQ but considering it is best to store film in a freezer, does leaving my film/cameras in the car have any adverse effects on the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How hot is "hot?"
    How long is the film kept in the heat?
    How often does this happen?
    How soon will you use the film?

The greater any one of these variables, the worse it is.
    If the film gets hot (like 80ºF to 100ºF) once, for a short time before you use it, you'll probably have no trouble at all.
    If the film swelters in a hot car every day, all day, for a week before you use it, that's not good for your film in the least.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can't leave a film camera with color film in the glove compartment for the whole summer. The color cast will be extreme.

Day by day, if you bury the bag under jackets and find at the peak of heat it still "cool to the touch" you are probably alright. But if it gets hot (90-degrees F or more) and stays there, try to do better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always try to avoid leaving equipment, and film in the car.
    On the few occasions that I have left it in the car, I have noticed
    some shift in color, or image quality.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You most likely should be fine, as long as you are actively taking pictures and not just carrying the same roll of film around. A couple days of heat should be no big deal with most normal film. I've never had any trouble on road trips. It was only HIR film that I took special precautions for, but that film is sadly gone. One thing I do know, don't leave a Diana on the car seat in summer. It never was the same after that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodak says your good for several months at 75.

Keep your bag on the floor, toss a towel over it to keep the direct sunlight from heating things up, shoot regularly and you should be fine.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd never leave cameras in the car. I've had my car broken into three times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually just leave my crap in the car since I work at a secured facility where the chance of theft is essentially 0%. With that said I usually go through a roll of film every week or two depending on how busy I am between work/school and how much time I have to go out to shoot. If it takes me 2 weeks to get through a roll of film, Id say out of 14 days my film is left in the car probably 3 or 4 days in really hot temps?

By hot I mean 90F+ and humid. Inside the car I wouldn't be surprised if it got to 110F-120F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    I usually just leave my crap in the car since I work at a secured facility where the chance of theft is essentially 0%. With that said I usually go through a roll of film every week or two depending on how busy I am between work/school and how much time I have to go out to shoot. If it takes me 2 weeks to get through a roll of film, Id say out of 14 days my film is left in the car probably 3 or 4 days in really hot temps?

By hot I mean 90F+ and humid. Inside the car I wouldn't be surprised if it got to 110F-120F.
    Never mind the film, you're trashing your camera equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a cooler with ice and bag the film.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin