Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,035   Online: 878

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought maybe that CIS49 had told me my error (leaving out the dilution of replenisher into working solution step) but the ratios come out the same. I mixed it directly to 4% Part A as per J39 rather than indirectly to 5% part A, then dilution by 1.2 and adding starter to get tank solution.

I have Starter but not Additive. My impression is that the latter is an optional thing to increase tank life, so I was following the "without Additive" path.

If you look at my original post, there's 5mL of starter in the 200mL of working solution that I made up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When i was younger, photo paper emulsions came in three contrast grades (both fuji and kodak).
    The contrast difference between kodak supra and ultra papers, was HUGE.
    Color balance was also extremely different, and shifts often went in opposite directions.
    Same for Fuji (C or B or how ever they graded their paper, they only started selling fuji papers when i was almost done using the kolenta), but it was still the same thing with the high and normal contrast papers. Light and day. I do not know if there is more then one emulsion for paper nowa days. If there is - just switch to the lower contrast paper.

Ans of course as someone suggested above me, you cannot compare a scan to a print because of the large dynamic range discrepancy.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did you add starter to your C-41? I missed that once and got very contrasty negatives.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Did you add starter to your C-41? I missed that once and got very contrasty negatives.
    Fuji Hunt 5 liter kit does not use a starter, it's built-in to produce tank solution. There are just parts A+B+C.

I get perfectly normal contrast with Fuji Hunt 5 liter kit, Kodak RA-4 chemicals sold at AG Photographic and both Kodak Supra Endura (now discontinued) and Fuji Crystal Archive (bought in 2009 or so).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    krifartida: indeed, it's just high-contrast papers available now, because 99.999% of it is used for digital printing where one can do all the manipulation pre-exposure. I would buy some Portra paper... except I can't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do your own C-41 processing, it is so easy to underdevelop a bit (15 sec, for example) to address the problem of only higher contrast papers remaining.

You can also add a bit of sulfite (for example, 0.5 g of sodium sulfite per liter) to the RA-4 developer to lower the contrast. This won't affect the shelf life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about this. You know that high contrast problems seem to be on the rise. Am I mistaken or not? If so, it may be of interest to compile the incidents and the solutions into a single thread or something so that it is available for all to see.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hrst: I will definitely be trying C41 pulls, I'm just grumpy about the big pile of already-developed rolls I've got from my honeymoon last year. Quite a few in there I want big optical prints of.

Thanks for the sulfite directions; I'll have to get some and try it.

I've had a couple more successful prints today from different rolls. I'm starting to suspect that maybe that baby-photo roll is overdeveloped, though the contrast doesn't (eyeballing the neg) look any worse compared to the ones I've printed successfully.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    polyglot can you put the baby neg in your film scanner and take a preview screen shot of the preview histogram (the scanner histogram pre-adjustments) and do the same for the lab vs home developed negatives from the two comparison prints and post them? This will at least show comparative density ranges.
    Last edited by Athiril; 06-17-2012 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Athiril: will do; probably tomorrow. I figured I'd try some negs shot in flatter light and have had roaring successes with some Reala that I shot in St Petersburg, so I now think I've got the RA4 process working properly, modulo a few unfamiliarity-frustrations.

I have my suspicions that my problems with the baby photo might be a combination of too-blue (veins show) in conjunction with under-bleaching (yellow Dmin, though the borders were clear). I'm now bleaching for 1:15 instead of 0:45 and finding it easier to balance the colour. So I'll revisit it sometime this week.

Thanks all for your help.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin