Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 874

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tetenal Minilab RA4 Solutions and tests

Hi all,
    I am looking for some advice. Yesterday I did my first Ra4 printing and encountered some situations.
    I am Using Tetenal RA-4 (Minilab/ergoline?) chemicals. I had 2L BLIX-RP, 2L CD-ULR and 1,5L CD Starter. The Blix says its for making between 4L to 10L for diff replenishment rates. The starter comes with the instructions attached. The 2L CD-ULR says "for 10 Liter". 10 Liter of what? Working Replenisher / Working final solution?
    I developed at high temperatures first, around 38c down to 30c for the first tries with hideous color results, Overdeveloped & blixed borwn whites and color shifting.
    Then I lowered the temperatures to around 23c. All done using a Rotatory tank for prints. Results got better but still had some issues of whites. I think I should have used the CD-ULR proportions instead.
    At first I mixed the bleach replenisher without starter(I have none) and water to make around 250ml (125ml+125water) of working solution. I think it was too weak because eventually I got yellowish highlights and yellow/brown non-exposed whites.
    I also think the I mixed CD too strong at first. My first try was 125ml water+ 15ml Starter + 110 Replenisher. Since I got those yellow whites I ended up diluting the Color developer to make it less reactive and added more Blix replenisher (I read here somewhere that yellow/brown highlights are from faulty Blix or wrongly mixed CD). This alleviated my problems a bit on a test (non-exposed) strip of paper (blixed not developed) and yielded a decent white (I still think the Blix is defective but is good enough for evaluative contact prints.
    I managed to do around 8m2 (24 15cmx22cm) of test prints before getting purple blacks (whites as good as the test strip).
    Now I dont know how to really handle the replenishment rates of both the Blix and CD. I was working with 250ml solutions at a time, that were mixed based on 1/4 * 1L formulas (see the image for example).
    1) Is the amount of paper I developed consistent with he 250ml of solutions I mixed? Or did I do too string mixtures? Or did I actually go above the recommended capacity of that 250ml solution?
    2) Should I instead mix 1L working solutions solutions?
    3) How do I know what do change on my mixing if the blacks/dmax is purple/blue?
    4) How long could those solutions keep? Should I keep them at all or throw the 250ml solutions?
    5) Should I be using (and reusing?) smaller quantities of 1L Working solutions per print i.e: 25ml?
    6) The 2L CD-ULR says "for 10 Liter". 10 Liter of what? Working Replenisher / Working final solution?
    7)After making a working solution how do I use the replenishment rate? Do I need to add the required ml in concentrate/working solution every specified sqm?
    I know I cant put 1L on the tank at once, since the inner temporary container would overflow before I could properly put the tank on the processor.

Thanks for the advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0345.jpg  
    Last edited by afrank; 06-18-2012 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Found this, how do I interpret it?:
    BLIX

CD-Starter

CD-ULR Replenisher

For the CD should I do 1 Liter with 640ml Water +300ml ULR +60ml S? If so, would the 300ml ULR be concentrate or 300ml out of the supposed 10L that the 2L batch makes?
    Last edited by afrank; 06-18-2012 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear afrank.

10 Liters means 10 Lirers of replenisher.

You have to dilute it further with water and add starter to get a “working solution / Tank solution”
    In your case (CD ULR / for 250ml developer working solution) use 160ml water, 75 ml replenischer and 15 ml starter. Your previous mixture of 125ml water, 110ml replenischer and 15ml starter is much too strong.
    Basically it is quite clearly written on your attachment…

And yes, you should better mix up one Liter, theses small amounts are prone to mixing errors. CD-ULR is quite concentrated stuff, it’s designed for minilabs without (or nearly without) overflow / chemical effluent. The effect of accidental additional volume in the mixing process is a lot stronger than with normal (cd-r) or roller transport (cd-rt)chemistry.

Actually I don’t now weather it makes sense to regenerate this stuff in drum processing mode,with the volumes stated on the bottle. During drum processing you have more oxidation impact and more carryover / chemical loss.
    I would go and find out how much developer you need for proper processing, let’s say 60, 80 or 100 ml per sheet/drum load, and then regenerate/ exchange 30% of the drained developer. But do use mixed up, fresh developer solution, NOT the replenisher, it is much too strong.
    Or simply use and reuse it till the volume goes down (in drum processing mode you anyway have always some carryover / chemical loss). Than top it off with new developer (NOT replenischer).

Regards,
    Stefan
    Last edited by stefan4u; 06-18-2012 at 01:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan4u View Post
    Dear afrank.

10 Liters means 10 Lirers of replenisher.

You have to dilute it further with water and add starter to get a “working solution / Tank solution”
    In your case (CD ULR / for 250ml developer working solution) use 160ml water, 75 ml replenischer and 15 ml starter. Your previous mixture of 125ml water, 110ml replenisher and 15ml starter is much too strong.
    So 10 Liters of Rep. means that I take the 2 liters I have, add 8 Liters of water to have a Working Replenisher? And then use that Working Rep. as the 75ml of rep. stated on the instructions? or 75ml of pure replenisher concentrate?

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear afrank.

Uhh, careful, don’t mix up the terms ”replenischer and working tank solution”

As far as I know this CD-SLR (Art. 102098) is a mono part, “ready to use” replenisher with a volume of 2,5 litre. 4 of these bottles are In the original package, that is the origin of the 10 Liter.
    Ready to use means no further dilution needed for the replenisher, in the opposite to conventional (3 part) replenishers which have to be mixed together and trimmed to the desired volume with water.

No further dilution necessary for getting replenischer / this is the replenischer.

You have to dilute it, as stated on the bottle, with water and starter to get the developer working tank solution (means the developer in “normal” concentration, as you need it for [drum]processing).
    The remaining 2 litres of your replenischer goes together with 4260 ml water and 400 ml starter and will give you about 6660 ml of developer (working tank solution!)

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know this CD-SLR (Art. 102098)
    Or simply use and reuse it till the volume goes down (in drum processing mode you anyway have always some carryover / chemical loss). Than top it off with new developer (NOT replenischer).
    Thanks for the info.
    Mine is 102 595 tho... Could be the same packaging tho.

Any Ideas on the blix?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin