Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    It makes sense then why the clerk didn't tell me the pictures didn't look good. He just assumed that's how they are supposed to look, since it's the norm for them. Sickening. I am going to go get my money back and make sure they know that's not how it's supposed to look.

RPL may be an excellent lab, but I will never pay $18 to get a test roll processed unless I have no choice. The Darkroom charges $10 for the same service.
    I'm sure you can get your money back, but even if you tell them they need to get fuji over to remix their chemistry, it wont change anything. Rite Aid is little more than a glorified 7-Eleven. Nobody who works there cares about the lab equipment...and in my experience, I can't blame them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I FedEx my color sometimes to Millers, two states away, they process/scan/print for under $15 a roll and FedEx them back. It's a two day turn around - don't waste time with shitty processors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Costco still develops in 1 hour, and does a good job too. My only complaint is the negs come back in strips of 4, although i still take anything really important to a real lab.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just want to say that I was once - briefly - a manager trainee at a now-extinct drug store photo lab. The reason I left? It became clear, very quickly, that quality photographs were the furthest thing from the minds of either the employees I was being trained to "manage" or the management team itself. Not to mention that the training I was getting in the office was thrown out the window in the actual stores. And this was more than 15 years ago... I ran from this one very fast.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about Target? I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet. Most of them seem to offer film processing. I've had about 100 rolls developed at my neighborhood Target over the past two-plus years. There've only been a few mishaps, minor, mostly related to scanning. The negatives always look good. That said, the lady that took my film last night is the same lady I met on day one. There's been little turnover among the staff, and I know in talking with them, that the machines are maintained on a schedule. Ninety-nine cents to develop and about $2.50 for a CD of scans with index print. Best deal in town as far as I'm concerned. But maybe I'm pushing my luck...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by edibot42 View Post
    My Costco still develops in 1 hour, and does a good job too. My only complaint is the negs come back in strips of 4, although i still take anything really important to a real lab.
    This is providing you can find a real lab, they are getting fewer and fewer all the time. The other issue of course, you need a lab that has enough film run through to be worth keeping the chemistry from getting stale. It's easy for a lab to keep a C41 line, but if they are only getting a couple of rolls a week, then that chemistry is not going to get enough replenishment to stay fresh, and it's going to be hard to justify replacing it often enough to keep it fresh.

I knew one lab that did B&W, by hand, once a week, because they had customers wanting it, but it wasn't worth maintaining a line for it. Some may do this or start doing this with colour as well, have a guy who comes in, loads a bunch of reels, mixes up the chemistry, runs all the rolls dip and dunk, then when they are all done, toss the chemistry. Charge the customers $10/roll for processing, run the negatives through a print machine with a scanner, done. Add the cost of each print to the order.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edibot42 View Post
    Special Instructions:
    "Do Not Cut Negative."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    get mailers and send your film out to a trusted lab.
    not sure if blue moon processes color, but they are an apug sponsor ...
    and from ALL reports they do stellar work.
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this is happening more and more -- find a local photo store that still has someone running the machine who know what he/she is doing and take your business there -- tell ur friends too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    get mailers and send your film out to a trusted lab.
    not sure if blue moon processes color, but they are an apug sponsor ...
    and from ALL reports they do stellar work.
    yes blue moon does color.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin