Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,097   Online: 995

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Thanks for the replies. RPC, I have plenty of sizes of canning jars. Good idea. I also have brown jugs ( a lot of them ) that I can use but most are gallon size. I think I'll change over to the jars but have to be careful not to mix it up with the moonshine..
    From looking at the products and paper that are avaliable now, it looks like a limited choice to choose from.
    What are most printers using now?
    B+H won't ship chemicals, Adorama doesn't seem to carry bleach except in huge containers, Freestlye is getting Tetenol but I haven't called yet to see if it is in stock yet.
    Paper is very limited in choice. I haven't tried Arista but since it is so cheap, I will try some.
    Back in the 80's, Kodak was geared to the large and mini labs and I couldn't order direct from them at all. I had to go through a camera store for all my paper and chemicals. I probably printed more than a mini lab did but they wouldn't work with me since I was a studio with a lab. I would shut the studio down 2 times a year for a week each and print nothing but furniture showroom 8x10's. Thousands and thousands of them. I lived practically day and night in the lab during this time. I guess you can say, " that was the good old days."
    Now it is totally digital. Times sure change fast.
    Didn't mean to get off track here.

I'll check back later in the week.
    Thanks

Richard
    I've been getting the Arista kits out of ease and that I'm doing small batches right now. That mixed with the Fuji CA paper has been a good combo. I recently got some of the Arista paper in 11x14 to try. Life's been to busy lately to mess with prints, but hope to soon. I would say that the Kodak chems are going to be cheaper in the long run, but bulk is the only way to buy now I think...no more kits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a photo supply here in Denver that stocks RA-RT cheistry in the 10 liter sizes. I mix my working solutions up from the parts as I need them -- usually in 500ml batches. If you have any large shops that stock darkroom supplies near you, you might see if they can order it in. The mini-labs use CA papers. You might see if they would sell you some chemistry either as stock solutions or freshly made working solutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post
    There is a photo supply here in Denver that stocks RA-RT cheistry in the 10 liter sizes. I mix my working solutions up from the parts as I need them -- usually in 500ml batches. If you have any large shops that stock darkroom supplies near you, you might see if they can order it in. The mini-labs use CA papers. You might see if they would sell you some chemistry either as stock solutions or freshly made working solutions.
    Which place is that? ProPhoto?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholer View Post

I ordered the kodak RA--RT chemical from Adorama and it is on the way. There aren't any labs left near me. They all closed down years ago. I live in the country and in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains, so what I get I have to order. I could have bought double amounts for what the shipping is costing now. The last time I shipped something with UPS, I told the lady to give me the keys and I would pick up the truck later that day that I had just bought. HAHA She didn't like the remark. It's not her fault the prices are high and I did apoligize for the remark. I'm sure she hears enough of it.

I am going to use a stop bath and all I have is B+W indicator stop. Will this be OK or do I need another kind?
    I have read where some were using white vinager. If that is what I need, at what dulution do I mix?

I am getting very excited about printing color again that it is hard to sleep with the thoughts running through my mind.
    It doesn't take much anymore to make this old man happy.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Which place is that? ProPhoto?
    Denver Pro Photo
    800 South Jason St
    303-698-1790

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to use a stop bath and all I have is B+W indicator stop. Will this be OK or do I need another kind?
    I have read where some were using white vinager. If that is what I need, at what dulution do I mix?

Thanks
    Richard
    I make my stop bath by sdding 1.25 oz of Glacial Acetic acid to a gallon of water. This gives a 1% solution. Most Vinegar is about a 5% solution so 1 part Vinegar plus 4 parts water would give a 1% solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks pinholer
    I'll give that a shot with the vinegar.

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I ordered the kodak RA--RT chemical from Adorama and it is on the way. There aren't any labs left near me. They all closed down years ago. I live in the country and in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains, so what I get I have to order. I could have bought double amounts for what the shipping is costing now. The last time I shipped something with UPS, I told the lady to give me the keys and I would pick up the truck later that day that I had just bought. HAHA She didn't like the remark. It's not her fault the prices are high and I did apoligize for the remark. I'm sure she hears enough of it.

I am getting very excited about printing color again that it is hard to sleep with the thoughts running through my mind.

Thanks
    Richard
    One thing to remember with shipping anything, the first lb costs the most, it's not uncommon if a 1lb shipment costs $10, that it will easily take 9 more lbs to get the next $10. Often the cost for dangerous goods or liquids handling are flat fees, which is something else to keep in mind. If your buying different chemicals for different processes, order them all at once from the same place, have it all shipped at once. If one piece is backordered, tell them not to ship the remainder, but to hold and ship all at once.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    One thing to remember with shipping anything, the first lb costs the most, it's not uncommon if a 1lb shipment costs $10, that it will easily take 9 more lbs to get the next $10. Often the cost for dangerous goods or liquids handling are flat fees, which is something else to keep in mind. If your buying different chemicals for different processes, order them all at once from the same place, have it all shipped at once. If one piece is backordered, tell them not to ship the remainder, but to hold and ship all at once.
    I bought the chemicals on Ebay. Adorama has a bunch on there. As I sent them to the list, they used the shipping price for each item. Next time I'll order by phone. I actually paid seperate shipping for each item. They didn't or have not offered to refund any of the amount for combined shipping. For a $90 order, I paid $31 for shipping above that. One of these days I might learn but I doubt it.

Thanks
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks
    Richard
    Don't short change yourself to quickly...I do know of some public darkrooms in Asheville. Not sure of the names, but do know they still exist.

As for a stop, I use a mix of white vinegar and water....diluted to about 2.5% acidic. It seems to work well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin