Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,763   Online: 1116

Shooter
    35mm

Stains on negatives c-41

I put this on another thread but no replies so far so perhaps it was hidden. Please help as I'm baffled by this.

I recently tried the bleach-bypass process and certainly got some of the expected results - muted colours and increased grain. Something else I experienced was an increase in residue on the film after drying. I am not sure that the process I used and the outcome are connected but that was the only difference that I can put my finger on. The same water, temperature, etc., but an increase in something that has left some of the negs unusable. Is this a likely outcome or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem? I have since washed the negs again - water and then water & photoflo for good measure but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the club, I been having nightmares processing normal C-41.
    The Stabilizer, Kodak is the best, MUST be mixed with Distilled Water, I put in a drop of Natural Clear Dish Soap (same as) or Photo Flo.
    Hang negatives to dry.
    I have a Dryer on my Phototherm Processor, seems as the C-41 doesn't like it, the excessive heat at once for drying, no problems with E-6.
    I had horrific results with the Jobo Press Kit, although I had to really wing that process with the Phototherm since the times of process or the steps didn't coincide with the process.
    Also if your using a Processor make sure it is Level & you have sufficient chemicals for your process.
    Now my results are excellent.
    Therefore when my Processor was not Level or maybe had insufficient chemicals also, I experienced a unwanted "Bleach Bypass" which resulted to Heavy Grain & Duller Colors in portions of my Negatives..
    I didn't notice anything for residue, maybe you need to wash longer & have a good quality Stabilizer with Photo Flo in your case.
    This is the best I could contribute according to my experiences.
    I had to keep testing with small portions of film to attain the results I was looking for.
    Last edited by Bronica645; 07-05-2012 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    scans? pictures of the neg itself with the residue you are asking about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it would be helpful to see a scan, but on the face of it bleach skip itself shouldn't cause a physical residue. dirty wash or final rinse will. you could take a small clipping and re-bleach, wash, fix etc especially if re-washing alone hasn't helped. it's rare to see a residue that won't wash off especially to the point of being unusable.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    35mm
    When I get the chance I will scan them for here. Perhaps the original stabilizer was not clean enough. I've never had this problem before though so I'm still quite confused.

Thanks for the help so far.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin