Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,409   Online: 1121

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Lovely job! Do you need a special enlarger/filters to print color or is it a matter of paper + chemistry? I was given an enlarger by someone who was no longer using it and my plan is to attempt my first B/W printing this weekend...no excuses now...I have the chemistry, a bucket to mix it in and containers to store it in, paper, etc!
    It's really easy with a color head, though you can manually make filter packs with a condenser head. Honestly, getting the correct filter pack is the toughest part, but if you use the same film and generally have the same lighting/compositions/exposures then a color analyzer can help you quickly get the correct filtration for the print.

Honestly, I find the RA4 chemistry easier than B&W. It's also a lot faster at 32ºC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the response....I'm looking forward to having a go at the B/W and then I'll research what the correct color head would be for my enlarger (since it's so new to me I'm going to have to double check that it doesn't already have a color head.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Thanks for the response....I'm looking forward to having a go at the B/W and then I'll research what the correct color head would be for my enlarger (since it's so new to me I'm going to have to double check that it doesn't already have a color head.)
    Color heads have a "dial in" system of some sort. For my Besslers' just simple knobs for the CMY with a range of numbers. When you add filtration for a color, you are filtering out that color. So if you dial in 54 Y, you are filtering out yellow. To add yellow back in, then you scale it back depending how much you need. Say a little, then may you'll want to try 49 Y or 44 Y. You can also add filtration of another color to achieve your needs. That part gets confusing to explain, but the basic premise is if you filter out one color, you are essentially increasing the the other colors for the exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
    Finally, thread is back on track.

You need a color enlarging head with the ability to manipulate cyan, magenta, and yellow.

Or...alternatively, you need color filter for bellow the lens.

All in all, you'll need to change your color balance some way to get it right.

Good luck with the BW. (You can use a color head for BW too.)
    Some enlargers had a filter drawer above the negative carrier, a better place for filters then below the lens, as any dust or small scratches in the filter are less likely to affect the image. However these filters can fade over time, so you need to count on replacing them after a while. They are likely to get harder to find over time, as fewer and fewer people print their own colour using them. Lots of old colour enlargers are on the previously enjoyed market, which is the best solution.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Some enlargers had a filter drawer above the negative carrier, a better place for filters then below the lens, as any dust or small scratches in the filter are less likely to affect the image. However these filters can fade over time, so you need to count on replacing them after a while. They are likely to get harder to find over time, as fewer and fewer people print their own colour using them. Lots of old colour enlargers are on the previously enjoyed market, which is the best solution.
    Yeah, you can usually find a Besseler 23 DGA Dichro for around $100-$150. I'm excited to now have two of them. I hope to rent some space or build a space other than my basement and start teaching darkroom techniques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I'm proud, like him, of my freedom of expression and I don't think you should be proud of your moralistic/zealot attitude toward those talking with you. Your opinion about somebody else's expressions is irrelevant and off-topic, doesn't help the conversation, doesn't help anybody, and doesn't help cretin woman either! Use your "style" of expression without thinking it is polite to reprimend somebody else for using expressions that don't match with your paranoias. You'll be reprimanded for your reprimand!

Most of all, learn to smile! The world is full of "sex jokes" since it was created! Any woman conversation will confirm you that.

The world doesn't need your effort to become a better place. Actually it would become worse a place where to live. Be less "Presbiterian"!

It's all fine. It's all fine. Relax. It's all right. Breathe... it's all right!
    My remark about saving women from being sexually assaulted was meant to show how ridiculous the logic of the O.P's saving $2,500 was in the way he described was applying the same logic.
    To put the record straight, I do not disrespect women, I have been married to the same lady for forty eight years and have always treat her with respect, and any other woman I have known.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    Color heads have a "dial in" system of some sort. For my Besslers' just simple knobs for the CMY with a range of numbers. When you add filtration for a color, you are filtering out that color. So if you dial in 54 Y, you are filtering out yellow. To add yellow back in, then you scale it back depending how much you need. Say a little, then may you'll want to try 49 Y or 44 Y. You can also add filtration of another color to achieve your needs. That part gets confusing to explain, but the basic premise is if you filter out one color, you are essentially increasing the the other colors for the exposure.
    Actually, most color enlargers (with the exception of the Phillips additive system enlargers, and perhaps a few others) are a subtractive system. If your print is too blue, you add yellow. The more yellow you dial in, the more yellow/less blue your print.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin