Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,424   Online: 1107
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    137
    Images
    18

    Saved $2500 dollars today!

    I shoot a lot of black and white, but I also love color. (Portra 400 is my favorite.)

    However, I had really been considering the new Plustek scanner along with a good printer. (Probably 13x19)

    Anyway, I must say....after today's darkroom session, I am no longer thinking about it.

    I was able to get exactly what I wanted only spending about $80 dollars. (Chemistry and 100 sheets of FCA)

    What do you guys think?

    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=56658

  2. #2
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,660
    Images
    122
    Employing women's logic, what are you going to spend the money you saved on?


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  3. #3
    Kav
    Kav is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Time will tell...
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Employing women's logic, what are you going to spend the money you saved on?


    Steve.
    Photographing shoes?

  4. #4
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,660
    Images
    122
    I mean the logical way of thinking "If I buy this dress in the sale with $50 off, I can use the money for new shoes/hat/bag".


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    137
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Employing women's logic, what are you going to spend the money you saved on?


    Steve.
    At this point...likely more film.

    I've also been eying a Canon 24mm 1.4L.

    But that's besides the point.

  6. #6
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    764
    Images
    33
    I know it's a dirty word, but if you run into limitations with your darkroom space, Durst Lambdas do a hell of a job on FCA, or Endura, or Fomatone, or just about anything else under the sun. I ran into an issue last summer where I wanted to make 30x30" prints from my 6x6 color negatives, and seeing as I lack the facilities to do so, I went the Lambda route. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

    I would hazard the statement that these prints would have been nigh impossible to make in a darkroom, without extensive masking, an enlarger made out of cast-iron, bolted to the floor, critically aligned three times over, and located in a darkroom in a rural area with absolutely no environmental vibration to speak of.

    That being said, with all that money you saved, why not take a trip?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    137
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I know it's a dirty word, but if you run into limitations with your darkroom space, Durst Lambdas do a hell of a job on FCA, or Endura, or Fomatone, or just about anything else under the sun. I ran into an issue last summer where I wanted to make 30x30" prints from my 6x6 color negatives, and seeing as I lack the facilities to do so, I went the Lambda route. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

    I would hazard the statement that these prints would have been nigh impossible to make in a darkroom, without extensive masking, an enlarger made out of cast-iron, bolted to the floor, critically aligned three times over, and located in a darkroom in a rural area with absolutely no environmental vibration to speak of.

    That being said, with all that money you saved, why not take a trip?

    Thanks for the info. I can print 20x24 in the darkroom here, but I suspect I won't get any bigger than 16x20. Printing color is challenging enough without have to deal with a larger print.

    Anyway...why not take a trip?

    I'm already in Japan.

  8. #8
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    764
    Images
    33
    I suppose that's as good a reason as any!
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    137
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    I suppose that's as good a reason as any!
    Nah, My family and I are already going back to the U.S. this winter.

    But anyway...There's no need to make a point here...cause everyone get's it.

    I just hear how expensive analog is....so I thought I'd share.

  10. #10
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Quote Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
    I shoot a lot of black and white, but I also love color. (Portra 400 is my favorite.)

    However, I had really been considering the new Plustek scanner along with a good printer. (Probably 13x19)

    Anyway, I must say....after today's darkroom session, I am no longer thinking about it.

    I was able to get exactly what I wanted only spending about $80 dollars. (Chemistry and 100 sheets of FCA)

    What do you guys think?





    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=56658
    I saved 38 women from being sexually abused today, I controlled myself .
    Ben

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin