Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,217   Online: 1045

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Using 800 ISO color film

How do folks feel about using 800 ISO Color film? When I use it, I mainly shoot it at 400 ISO except when I really need the higher ISO like at night. What I am losing over a 400 ISO film? Any thoughts on this? Also any preference between Fuji, Kodak Gold or Portra?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always shot Fuji Superia 800 between 500-640(800 in a pinch)and saw less grain and better contrast than Superia 400. Now it's Portra which can take a full stop of under-exposure(an ISO800 rating)and still look great with none of the murkiness I sometimes saw with Superia 800 at box speed or a bit underexposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never had a problem shooting ISO 800 C-41 film at box speed.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to use Fuji 800 for indoor sports and concerts, and I never had any problems using it at the rated speed. (But I really preferred the look of Fuji 1600 speed color print film, which is sadly long gone now. Oh well.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think they are fun, 800iso C41 film is really nice in cameras like a Holga.

In cameras with good exposure control I shoot all my film at box speed unless something forces me away from that.

I haven't found one I can't get along with.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like Portra 800-2 at box speed in 120. I haven't felt the need to rate it at 640 or 500 although I guess I do overexpose it a little bit from time to time.

-Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I need speed I shoot Portra 400 at anything up to 3200.

On the other hand Portra 800 is very good at 800, very nicely soft and glowy at 400 or even 250. I also particularly like how Portra 800 looks in mixed artificial (i.e. urban night/indoors) lighting.

Kodak Gold I wouldn't use if it was given to me for free. I don't particularly like the Fuji palette but the few rolls of Fuji 800 I used I found grainy and not as good as Portra 800. But that's a subjective thing.
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin