Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,882   Posts: 1,629,717   Online: 723

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Using 800 ISO color film

How do folks feel about using 800 ISO Color film? When I use it, I mainly shoot it at 400 ISO except when I really need the higher ISO like at night. What I am losing over a 400 ISO film? Any thoughts on this? Also any preference between Fuji, Kodak Gold or Portra?
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, FT2, Nikon F, Nikon FE, FM3a, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always shot Fuji Superia 800 between 500-640(800 in a pinch)and saw less grain and better contrast than Superia 400. Now it's Portra which can take a full stop of under-exposure(an ISO800 rating)and still look great with none of the murkiness I sometimes saw with Superia 800 at box speed or a bit underexposed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to use Fuji 800 for indoor sports and concerts, and I never had any problems using it at the rated speed. (But I really preferred the look of Fuji 1600 speed color print film, which is sadly long gone now. Oh well.)
    “Art is what we call... the thing an artist does." Seth Godin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think they are fun, 800iso C41 film is really nice in cameras like a Holga.

In cameras with good exposure control I shoot all my film at box speed unless something forces me away from that.

I haven't found one I can't get along with.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like Portra 800-2 at box speed in 120. I haven't felt the need to rate it at 640 or 500 although I guess I do overexpose it a little bit from time to time.

-Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I need speed I shoot Portra 400 at anything up to 3200.

On the other hand Portra 800 is very good at 800, very nicely soft and glowy at 400 or even 250. I also particularly like how Portra 800 looks in mixed artificial (i.e. urban night/indoors) lighting.

Kodak Gold I wouldn't use if it was given to me for free. I don't particularly like the Fuji palette but the few rolls of Fuji 800 I used I found grainy and not as good as Portra 800. But that's a subjective thing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin