Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,305   Online: 764

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The only thing stopping me...

...from processing my own color film (C41) is my indecision over which kit to get. There seems to be no consensus on any of them -- everyone has their own opinion and experiences of course. Based on my reading, though, I think I have two requirements:
    1. A liquid concentrate kit, not a powder kit
    2. A kit with separate bleach and fix (versus a blix).

I thought the Rollei Digibase kit might be for me, but their own instructions seem to have some glaring omissions -- such as the lack of a rinse between certain steps. I've also read about shoddy packaging in some cases. Am I just being fussy?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Rollei kit is ok and you can add the wash step yourself. The Photographer's Formulary has a one liter kit of Kodak brand chemicals, which is also very good.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i have always used the rollei kit and found it to be great. the chemicals last for ages too which is a major bonus for low volume users. youre right though, the instructions are wanting. i wrote a tutorial on c41 using this kit on my blog which fills in the instructions a bit. you can check it out here if you want, hope it helps:

http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogsp...negatives.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the Digibase kit with good results. Currently using the Tetenal powder kit with blix instead of separate bleach/fix. Results seem a little more inconsistent. I do have another Digibase kit to use once the Tetenal is exhausted, though.

I have plenty of Kodak Flexicolor developed and fixer just waiting to be cracked open as soon as I can find a reasonable supplier for the bleach and final rinse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the Unicolor C-41 1 liter kit with excellent results. It is a powder kit. Just follow the mixing instructions and maintain the temperature. When I use it, I process 12 to 16 rolls [or equivalent] in two days and I have not detected any change in color.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With those two requirements, both the Rollei and Fuji kits will be good for you. While the Rollei instructions are bad, there are some HUGE threads on APUG about how to use it, or read the FAQ in my signature.

If you buy Rollei, make sure none of the developer concentrates has gone purple; that's the sign it's oxidised due to bad packaging.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin