Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,986   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Color paper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been using Ilfocolor, nearly exclusively. It has *wonderful* lot-to-lot and size-to-size uniformity; as well as what I consider to be the *best* color balance of all. No idea of the current availability, considering Ilford's troubles. The last I bought was from B&H.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the input. I put off doing any color for years because of all the horror stories about color balance and toxic chemicals etc. Now I find all that was hooey. Analog color balance is a whole lot easier than Photoslop and I haven't smelled anything at all from the RA-4 stuff.

Really very simple and so sharp that I have to defocus or try to hold a softnet under the enlarger lens on some of the girly stuff.

Right now the Endura in 'N' surface is the only paper I have and it seems to work great. When I get low I'll test the other surfaces.

The image below is a print scan from an 8x10 I did last night. The film was Portra 160VC rated at 100. One large softbox with gold insert. The rest of the 'set' was lighted with five other studio lights w/gels and two spot lights. I built the 'set' in my living room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pers-24cb.jpg  
    Last edited by JD Morgan; 12-12-2004 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Image edit for color balance.
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JD,
    Nice shot.:o Are the blacks black on the print they look blue on my screen?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fuji's Crystal Archive is a very nice paper. What I found is that I can test on 8x10 and jump to larger papers with not too much difference from my final. I use to make Inegs for my chromes and print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    JD,
    Nice shot.:o Are the blacks black on the print they look blue on my screen?
    Thanks.

Yep, the print doesn't exhibit the color cast in the shadows that the scan does except in the area between her right hand and body (had blue and purple gels at work, so there will be some color mixing).

I tried to color balance the shadow casts out in Photoslop to better match the print, but then the skin tones would go too yellow. I could probably get it out using selective color and other disco wizardry, but I just don't see the need. It's not too bad on my machine. Besides, the only people that would notice that or the fact that the outfit could use some ironing would be photogs.

With softness, artifacts, color casts etc. scanning just sux. The skin is actually a bit less yellow in the print and the overall contrast is lower. I had to boost the contrast a bit from the scan to help reduce some of that blue shadow cast in the scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I pulled the image up in Thumbs+ and used it's shadow balance to pull the blue out. Now it more closely matches the print. I edited the original post so you should see the new image there now.

I find that Thumbs+ shadow balance is much more keyed to just the deep deep shadows unlike Photoslop. I used the slider and pulled -50 out of the blue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks better now... Nice job all around

Shooter
    Multi Format

Developer exhaustion RA-4

Now that I'm moving along a little with this color stuff, I ran into my first quirk that required some analysis.

Printing last night I had one come out very low in contrast as if fogged. I then looked back through the most previous two prints and noted a shift to slightly lower contrast with blue casts in the blacks.

Is this how RA-4 developer starts warning you it's a bit short and ready for the big bird back to the world? Perhaps the reason I was asked about the blue/black relationship in the print I posted yesterday?

I refreshed chemicals and printed the one below full-bleed 8.5x11 (the size I'm thinkin' of standardizing on for 35mm -- unless someone has a better suggestion) and it was fine, I think... umm... does it look fine?

The film is 35mm Portra 160VC rated at 100 printed on Supra Endura 'N' surface and using Jobo CPE-2 with Kodak RA-4 chemicals. How many 8x10 size should realistically be expected out of 122ml of chems (I top off the chems back to 122ml every couple prints)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pers-25.jpg  
    Last edited by JD Morgan; 12-13-2004 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blue blacks can be an indication that some bleach has mixed into your dev. I take it by your post you are not repleneshing your chemestry. I have only used RA4 printers that replenished as they went a long, so I don't know if what you experienced was weak or contaminated dev. You can buy RA4 test strips (small 4"x8" strips) that print out a scae that is easily checked by the naked eye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Blue blacks can be an indication that some bleach has mixed into your dev. I take it by your post you are not repleneshing your chemestry. I have only used RA4 printers that replenished as they went a long, so I don't know if what you experienced was weak or contaminated dev. You can buy RA4 test strips (small 4"x8" strips) that print out a scae that is easily checked by the naked eye.
    Haven't had any 'oops put the hose in the wrong bottle' events and the drum is rinsed and dried after each run. I'll have to check on the replenishing particulars for what I'm doing. I figured I'd run through a couple boxes of paper and a kit of chemical just getting everything down pat before getting into the other details.

A roller transport? Hey man, that's cheatin'. But how in the world are you controlling/battling dust well enough to print 400 in a week?

Dust is enemy #1 for me. Dust never sleeps. It makes me craaaazzy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin