Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,996   Posts: 1,524,287   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color paper

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color paper

Finally have this color head of mine working and succeeded in making a few prints on the only paper I had my hands on - Kodak Supra Endura in 'N' surface. Not sure if I like the paper because I have nothing to judge it against.

-- funny note: I was in a bit of a rush when I went to a pro shop in Portland the other day and grabbed a box of the paper above in 8.5x11 instead of 8x10. I didn't realize this until I couldn't fit it in my 8x10 speed easel. Cutting paper in the dark on a cutter NOT set up with guides is kinda hit or miss! --

Any recommendations for a good all around paper and surface for portrait, wedding, glamour and other crap normally shot with color?
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fuji Crystal Archive
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, forgot to mention that most color negs would be Portra in 160NC, 400NC and 800.

Does that Fuji vote still hold for those?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Morgan
    Oh, forgot to mention that most color negs would be Portra in 160NC, 400NC and 800.

Does that Fuji vote still hold for those?
    I have only used it with transparecies, but I have heard good things about it as an all round paper. I think the best person to ask would be mrcallow.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I have only used it with transparecies, but I have heard good things about it as an all round paper. I think the best person to ask would be mrcallow.
    Ahhh... Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'vote' in my reply then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JD,
    I am not sure if there is much choice apart from Kodak and Fuji when it comes to colour papers these days. Does anyone know of any others ? Cutting up colour paper in the dark is not to be recommended!
    All the best,

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Supra Endura. If you want a little lower contrast Portra I guess.

Agfa makes colour paper.

I cut paper in the dark all the time. No problem at all once you've screwed up enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello I am new to this board and am so glad to see people talking about film! I print all my work on Kodak Portra Endura paper and I love the Portra B&W paper. I use E surface on both papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the Silverprint.co.uk online catalogue, you have a choice of
    Agfa, Fuji, Ilford, Kodak & Tetenal RA4 papers (in the UK at least).

Personally, I'm colour blind so I never use the stuff. I spent much of my youth wondering why so many women liked that awful looking pale blue lipstick: turns out, it is actually pink... ho hum....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should qualify my opinions on colour. I do print a lot (over 400 11x16 for my portfolio in the last week), I print for myself and I do use or have used anything and everything I can get my hands on (cheapest available often the deciding factor). I doubt I am the best printer or most knowledgeable on the forum maybe just the most vocal.

Fuji CA is very good it comes in 3 flavours I am familiar with two C (c for contrast) and P (p for portrait). Kodak comes in three flavours (although portra may have been dropped) Porta (portrait), Supra (a little more punch than Portra) and Ultra ( good deal of punch).

Some here will tell you that there is a world of difference between CA and Kodak. I may be blind, but I don't see it. Fuji works well with Fuji films and to a lesser degree Kodak films. Kodak Portra Films on the NC side work very very well with Portra and Supra and OK with Ultra. The NC/Porta combination may be one the most significant matches. Fuji NPC and Reala on CA C is also a pretty perfect match (assuming you like your prints juicy). Most fuji films I have used look best on the Supra Ultra end of Kodak's line.

When roteague talks of printing his tranies to CA he is referring to a scan that is printed digitally. At this point matching profiles and equipment to paper is more important than matching films to paper.

IMHO the difference between CA P and C is equivalent to about 1 contrast filter in B&W. The difference between the Portra papers Portra to Ultra might be 1.5 or 2. In other words not much.

The palette of the paper is similar to the palette of the film, but less so. There are not alot of awful combinations. So much can be done during enlargement that the influence of the paper can be to a large degree negated. There is a lot to be said for matching strengths and keeping these in mind from conception through printing.

Cheaper consumer papers and some of the fringe papers (that may no longer be available) had some real contrast differences. Ilford super gloss being one very good very punchy paper Kodak edge being another contrasty paper.

Agfa Signum is a pretty good general purpose paper. Ilford at one time sold an RA4 paper called (I think) 2000 that I loved. It was easy to print on and was very consistent. Much of the work I have sold on ebay is on this paper.

Considering the film you shoot and If you have to choose one I would choose Kodak Supra.

FWIW. Konica's papers appear to be an exact match to Fuji's papers (they produce the same results when using the same profiles in a digital printer) and they are making similar claims of longevity to CA. Konica can be cheaper than CA.
    Last edited by mrcallow; 12-12-2004 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: making it clearer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin